Shooting Into The Sun, or letting the glint go...

That’s really nice and shows off the fruits of your labour…

I cropped some of the foreground. darktable from the master branch.

DSZ_1481.NEF.xmp (17.6 KB)

2 Likes

My quick attempt. I tried some highlight reconstruction in filmic but those specular highlights on the water were no going to budge and why should they. They are meant to look like that after all. I used shadow highlights module in a subdued fashion and used contrast equalizer module to add sharpness in way that also adds contrast. I am tempted to enhance the green, but am unsure what would be natural for the scene. Thanks for the image to play with.

DSZ_1481.NEF.xmp (7.0 KB)

1 Like

I’ve revised this, as my first was a bit warm perhaps, but mainly because some pink river highlights were bugging me. It turns out these can be removed with Raw Chromatic Aberrations. Defringe is fixing the purple fringing on the right side bush. RCA is dealing with the specular water. I think one of these modules is no longer considered 1st division?; but both seem useful here. (Though RCA takes warmth out of the whole image)
DSZ_1481-Conejos-river-rawconvert-V3-S-sRGB.xmp (61.0 KB)

1 Like

The linear image with the’standard’ camera primaries is decidedly less warm. I’m on my phone now, will post later today on my tablet with a rendition.

You have me thinking about knowing the linear colorimetric starting point and how important that is to making good choices about discretionary processing…

That’s a Tri-X infrared feel ! :wink:

'Twas a sunny day in southern Colorado :slight_smile:

DSZ_1481.NEF.xmp (24.0 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks for posting, I am always looking for new samples to my RawTherapee profiles on. This is the the result of my latest, no further edits were done except resize for upload.

DSZ_1481.NEF.pp3 (14.5 KB) (Requires Stuart Sowerby’s Astia film sim Fuji Film Simulation Profiles – Stuart Sowerby)

2 Likes

Thanks for this nice view!
Here I chose the HALDCLUT Portra 160 colours.

DSZ_1481_RT-1.jpg.out.pp3 (15.0 KB)

2 Likes

DSZ_1481.jpg.out.arp (12.1 KB)

1 Like

Ha, forgot I’d already done that, the top post of the thread contains a linear rendition, with the only processing being provided by the export profile - sRGB gamma tone curve, and a color conversion from camera space to sRGB gamut.

In rawproc, while I have a default toolchain I usually at some point select for display the first tool past demosaic to look at the linear RGB image. Unadorned by any discretionary processing, I consider this rendition to be the most “accurate” representation of the hues in the scene, and therefore the starting point for any departure in tone or color. I go through the same sort of delusions as anyone about recollection of the tone and color of the scene, so I use that linear rendition to anchor my expectations. I think the Neutral profile in RawTherapee does the same thing; don’t know what the equivalent is in darktable.

Another attempt. I envy that nice green grass that some of you can produce. :slight_smile: I tried to give a slight boost to the autumn colours.

DSZ_1481.NEF.xmp (13.4 KB)

2 Likes

My quick attempt.

2 Likes