Short video shot raw, processed/color graded in Rawtherapee

In my experience, IGV desaturates a bit more than LMMSE. But at the kind of processing used in the video, the desaturation does not hurt. IGV is also better in reducing moiré than LMMSE.
And it’s faster which may help when processing 45,000 files.

For one of the Blackmagic files I measured on my 8-core:

40 ms for IGV
130 ms for LMMSE with 6 enhancement steps

Means, processing the 45,000 files using IGV would be 1.125 hours faster on my machine, compared to LMMSE 6 enhancement steps :wink:

1 Like

@Waveluke Thanks for sharing your experience with us. For the workflow advice, I’d recommend to :

1. save your key image to a separate folder
  2. edit them at will ; Lockable color picker can help you having consistent color through the scenes
  3. save the pp3 file for each particular image where the footage images are stored (e.g. 1 folder per footage)
  4. use rawtherapee-cli.exe (unless I missed that point in your first post) to convert them all at once : rawtherapee-cli.exe -p thisFootage.pp3 -j95 -js3 -Y -o output\ -c *.dng

As you can see, no need to send to queue in the GUI version, the CLI version accept wildcards.

2 Likes

For what its worth @Waveluke I think it looks very nice. I always admire stretching your equipment and processes to do more with less.

2 Likes

Thanks, that was really helpful. I will keep that in mind for next time I have to do extreme high ISO video.

I think that and getting around to buying an SSD, lol!

Did not know about this, do you have any advise on resources that will help me learn how to use the command line of rawtherapee? I am not real versed on command line interfaces and have been using the GUI.

I’ll let you do some search on how to open and use a console on your system, but all the doc you need can be displayed by using the rawtherapee-cli.exe -h command. Also available in RawPedia iirc, but the one from the comand line is up-to-date, for sure.

Thanks.

I can’t wait to jump down that rabbit hole.