Should I rebuild darktable

After the latest release I built 3.0.0 on Ubuntu 19.10. A few days later I switched from Ubuntu 19.10 to Mint 19 which is based on Ubuntu 18.04. The machine has 8 GB RAM and on Ubuntu I used 8 GB of swap. When I switched to Mint I decided on 4 GB of swap. darktable’s performance has definitely dropped since the switch but I’m not sure what the cause is.
This was the first time I built darktable (or any application for that matter) so I am wondering if I rebuilt it will that help? If I do rebuild it, how do I first remove the previous build?

Weird - shouldn’t happen. Check if performance drop isn’t related to things like missing OpenCL drivers etc.

There’s no OpenCL hardware on the machine.

Generally - rebuilds may or may not help in your case. For rebuild - simply do build and install same way as you did previously. It should update all the necessary files and link to proper libraries. 8GB of ram + 4GB swap isn’t really much considering no OpenCL.

Are you using the same binary you compiled on 19.10 on 18.04? If yes, then you need to recompile.

Damn, hopefully I can fit 4 more in.

Is that different from rebuild?

That’s totally the same.

Thanks, I’ll give it a try.

David: do you really need a swap partition?

I’ll have a look! Thanks!