Skinny-legged wader

Beautiful shot and to my eyes perfectly sharp. My play in GIMP.

2 Likes

Nice bird!

Tricky background.

My try: dt, 4.10

IMG_4611_01.CR3.xmp (24.2 KB)

3 Likes

Nice easy shot to process because of good exposure. I also thought for 1600IDO the grain was very reasonable and I only applied the default denoise profiled settings. I used filmic auto tune levels, shadow and highlights module and a second instance of expose masked to the dark section of the wing to lift exposure by 1/3rd of a stop there. I like the reflection of the bird so I kept that in my crop. Thanks for sharing the image.

IMG_4611.CR3.xmp (14.2 KB)

2 Likes

Yeah, I was looking at the overall image balance when I cropped and it would’ve been good to include more reflection in my version. Nice processing.

Thanks.

IMG_4611_03.CR3.xmp (13.5 KB)

My attempt definitely goes against my taste which generally prefers not to deviate too much from the reality of natural light and colours, nevertheless I wanted to try to artificially increase the chromatic range and the brightness gradient.
Darktable 4.2.0.

2 Likes

Yeah, that was kinda the aim in my original. The green color there isn’t too far from what I recalled (at the time of processing) it being. The sun was really sending a lot of reflected green light off the trees. Nothing direct but lots of greenish ambient light. Problem is, as everyone has no doubt seen, the ibis is virtually colorless to any real degree, so getting a nice bit of color in the water without totally overwhelming the bird is a balancing act. Contrast on the bird was the only weapon, pretty much.

Thanks for the reply!

Awesome shot. :smiley:
IMG_4611.CR3.xmp (18.5 KB)

5 Likes

Thanks! Your version is great!

1 Like

My Play Raw.

IMG_4611.CR3.xmp (11.9 KB)

2 Likes

IMG_4611.CR3.xmp (12.6 KB)

Second version.

3 Likes