Slideshow function not working since upgrading to latest version

Hi all, so on the back of my post about removing extreme colour cast on photos, many thanks for thos who have supported with that, I upgraded to DT 4.2.1 and now the slideshow function hangs with images looking like the attached. I often use this feature, so it’s important to me that I get this working again. I’m running it on a windows laptop it has 16GB RAM. The current database in DT has about 840 GB of files from a 3 week holiday in Australia that I’m currently working through. It was suggested that DT might still be building the previews, how long should I give it and is there anything else I should try please?

I should add this feature was working fine in the previous version I had installed.

Many thanks

Jo

This can take several hours, depending on your hardware. The thumbnails/preview images can be created by running the tool darktable-generate-cache overnight (darktable 4.6 user manual - darktable-generate-cache).

You can launch darktable from the commandline with the debug option -d all to get detailed debug information while the application is running (darktable 4.6 user manual - darktable).

There was a bug in the module causing the slideshow to hang on HiDPI displays.
It is fixed with Pull Request #13720 and coming in 4.4

@pehar I don’t understand how to run the darktable generate cache or how to launch Darktable from the command line? The links you provided aren’t clear to a non-techie like me! :melting_face:

@zisoft does that mean I just have to wait for the next version? the resolution of my laptop display is 3840x2160

thanks

Jo

You can always try one of the Nightly Builds for Windows or from the Windows Insider Program but keep in mind that these are development releases of the current master branch. From these versions there is no way back to 4.2!

I have always found the weekly Windows Insiders Program very stable and update to this every week on Windows computer but the caution there is that there is no backwards compatibilty to 4.2 as already mentioned. For me that is not an issue as when I do an edit I am happy with I always export the finished image as a 16 bit tiff file so my hard work is never lost.

Unless you back up your config folder, with the database in it, and restore that as well when installing 4.2.
I think!
Actually, I think dt normally does an auto backup of the database when you upgrade, so it should be possible…

See Darktable freeze while loading D7500 .nef files - #11 by g-man for example.