Software defaults, looks and starting points - Not software specific discussion

Nope just against something that can only be defined or determined by the individual. If its a particular module or function you should propose another value or method and put in a feature request…if it has merit or traction I am sure you will get support.

1 Like

Are some of you on vacation? :sunny: I come back in a few hours and I see 54 or more new posts. TL;DR after the conversation slows down? :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

You have to demosaic to get white balance :smiley:

Sometimes no working or output color space. Sometimes I turn off the white balance to see what channels are really blown (usually when working on Play Raws). Sometimes I adjust the input color profile for tricky images.

In darktable, maybe. In terms of raw processing, not strictly true.

Here’s what I do:

1. assign the camera profile. This doesn’t change the data here, but…
  2. black subtraction if applicable, using the value(s) supplied in the metadata
  3. white balance, using the as-shot multipliers from the camera. I generally rely on the camera’s auto WB, but sometimes I’ll record multipliers off a neutral patch in the scen.
  4. demosaic. For proof images, I use half, as that takes the image dimensions down in the proof direction, 800x600. Later, I usually switch that up to a better algorithm for full-sized renditions or intermediate exports to GIMP.
  5. black/white point setting to the data limits, as the data to this point is still in 14-bit range with respect to the 16-bit container, albeit in equivalent 0.0-1.0 floating point range.

At this point, this is what I’d consider “linear RGB”. Now when I view it, it’s through the display transform, so there’s that going on. Also, I’ve also usually opened the raw file using the batch-produced proof processing, which includes a filmic tone curve, proof resizing, and a bit of convolution sharpening. But, I usually select the black/white point tool for display for a bit, and consider the linear tone relationship. I’ve had images where the scene was lit such that I could delete the filmic tool and “go linear” for the rendition.

Typically though, I’ll mostly mess with the tone curve, either tweaking the filmic one, or in the case of reaally high DR images, I’ve been changing that out to a log curve and adding a control-point curve to shape the tone distribution to my whim. If the image has extreme hues, I’ll also switch out the matrix camera profile with my LUT profile made from spectral data.

Since I’ve started using the highlight-weighted matrix metering mode of my Z 6, I’ve had to spend more time with tone curve strategies, because no one curve handles all the scenes. I think this would not be the case if I were exposing to the middle gray, but I’d be using highlight recovery more…

Have a look at this PlayRaw thread…

It’s pretty hard to imagine that all the contributors on that thread would prefer the same starting point. What would seem “good” to some people would look like a “rip and replace” to others.

Checking out of this circular argument.

3 Likes

You are the smart one… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Once upon a time two people have a chat

A: Let’s define a good default ™ for raw processors.

B: But what is a good default ™ ?

A: That is exactly what we are going to discuss.

B: But there is no good default. Good is in the eye of the beholder.

A: I’m sure there is. Camera manufacturers and commercial photo editors spent years of research to produce this good default ™. So there is indeed a good default.

B: Yet they produced many different defaults. Some people like Fuji look, some like Nikon color, etc. So there is no a single trully grand good default ™.

A: The point is not producing a greatest look, but an acceptable starting point™ for further editing.

B: Okay, so we are not discussing a grand or good default ™ anymore. Great. So what is an acceptable starting point?

A: That is exactly what we need to define here.

B: Well many people have difference preference on their starting point based on their workflow. Some prefer more “unprocessed look” to not anchor their creativity to something pre-baked. Some prefer a half processed look so they get more productive in the area they want to retouch. But we have many tools for both approaches, don’t we? Even the FOSS raw processor which starts with more “flat/unprocessed” look allows you to create preset for your own default.

A: But if we just start with something acceptable, it shouldn’t harm anyone. The beginners will produce a nice result immediately, and the experts can still do what they want.

B: Sorry what you mean by “something acceptable”? You mean “half processed” look?

A: Umm… yes.

B: But I don’t like that starting point.

A: But I like it. I think most people will like it too. If you don’t like it, you can always disable that feature.

B: Why would I write a feature that I’m going to disable?

Legends says that this conversation is still going till now in 2021.

18 Likes

A lot of things can be done. But the point is, that many users and developers do not want this kind of change. The others can change their workflow to Filmulator plus a second software, make their own presets or fork a software. But an “endless” discussion that tells others, my opinion is right and your opinion is wrong, is not in the least constructivce.

haha @Chen_Hendrawan nice synopsis.

I have to say I expected a lot of discussion about what a good default is. I’m completely surprised 161 posts in that we’re still stuck discussing whether defaults exist :sweat:

I’m also surprised to see arguments of the importance of some unspecified default by people admitting they never use the default!

The thickness and number of bricks in those two walls was unexpected.

Put simply. There is a default. What should it be.

Whatever the developers choose to develop.

So is the strangeness of the whole discussion a result of “in defence of devs” ?

Makes a lot of sense if it’s mostly about protecting some existing situation and people rather than any opinions about actual defaults or serious consideration of workflow and the experience of new users. If that’s the case it’s been well hidden by making completely different arguments. If that’s the case we’ve seen an impressive 160 post inability to communicate.

Hi,

I was thinking of staying out of this, but I have to agree with you that after >150 replies nobody has really addressed your question (though I didn’t read them all in detail). So I’ll give you my point of view, FWIW.

A good default should satisfy the following principles:

1. a default is for new users of a particular piece of software, not for experts. If you are an expert, by definition you know how to change the defaults to suit you;

2. a default should be easy and quick to override in case you don’t like it;

3. (perhaps the most important) a default should show no surprising behaviour; it should not make you ask “what is going on here?”

Given the above (with which you might disagree), and given also that:

1. whenever you interact with your camera, you either see the world or you see the camera-produced rendering of it (EVFs, LCD/live view, previews)

2. in many applications that are normally used for importing, culling, and quick display (e.g. rapid photo downloader, geeqie, digikam) you see the camera-produced rendering of your RAW file by default

3. the raw processors I have experience with (RawTherapee and ART) will show you a thumbnail based on the camera-produced rendering of the raw by default at the beginning

I think it makes sense to have a default setting that produces a tone curve extracted from the camera-produced rendering of the raw that is often embedded in the metadata. This is just one change, that is simple to revert, is completely transparent, and gets you close enough to the camera version most of the time for most people. It’s not perfect of course (it would be nice if it were, but what wouldn’t? :-), but it’s a good fit for the requirements given above. It would be also great if this was a great-looking picture out of the box, or if it produced a great starting point for further edits, but neither of these are necessary conditions IMHO (also because they are very subjective, as people have so vehemently stated over and over again in the previous replies).

11 Likes

No. It’s a reaction against the general idea that some external third party (commercial software, camera manufacturer) has hit the holy grail of “good defaults”, that we should replicate those defaults, and the idea that such a thing can even be objectively defined. Defaults are given in a lot of individual modules (I’m talking darktable here). Some of those defaults are designed to provide a reasonable starting point (filmic has some default settings that attempt to work for an average photo) and some of them are entirely neutral.

In the end those defaults are the choice of the developer, and informed by discussion with other developers (and any users who take part in the review process). Some of those defaults change over time as new suggestions are made. If you want to take part in that process, the way to do it is to raise a feature request, suggesting a new default for an individual module, and be prepared to justify your suggestion and argue for it. If a developer thinks it’s a good idea, someone might code it, or it will wither on the vine.

Generic discussions about wanting a vaguely defined “good” default are just saying “developers: give me good”. This is not actionable and is just frustrating for developers, who will quickly tire of the discussion and leave you to it.

As an example, we are changing the default value for the filmic middle-tones saturation as part of darktable 3.6 following discussions, and planning to introduce a preset to allow you to do a similar thing in color balance rgb, but in a better way. It’s a single small change and has been made for a justified reason, so we did it.

10 Likes

That was an interesting argument. I never considered the advantage of sooc like rendering in terms of the whole workflow and experience from scene to the computer as a thing in itself.

It ties in nicely with someones post above linking the exposure moment to pp. It does make one more annoyed that camera manufactuers generally won’t allow sharing and loading of settings.

Why on earth would anyone react against an idea never proposed? No one ever claimed the commercial alternatives had perfect or even good defaults. Theres intent behind their defaults and there can be intent behind ours.

But this is the problem. If it’s only looked at from the perspective of individual module settings you’ll never get to the discussion about the whole out of the box experience. You’ll never discuss all the user experience issues and it will be on a software by software basis.

This kind of great work and discussion happens a lot at pixls and repos. People do amazing work and the software progress impressively.

Stepping back from nitty gritty and discussing meta questions can reveal things such as @agriggio post about the value of sooc to out of box pp from a completely different but very much experience focussed angle. It’s just one angle though, thought provoking but I’m not sure I agree fully.

The purpose of the thread was to get people to flesh out as many precisely defined “good” as possible. We’ve had very few! Not good as in the mathematics of operators but principles and workflow considerations.

I’ve tired of this discussion and will leave you to it.

2 Likes

We’re getting somewhere. A default is a choice guided by some design principle. Alberto proposed a few very reasonable principles. Of course, other developers might have different principles. So what @elstoc says is truthful as well: it’s up to the developer. The rest is up to the user. Do they perceive the choices of the developers are useful ones?

Edit: to clarify, this is about any developer, whether a big company or open source one-man band.

Edit 2: the more pertinent question may actually be “how do developers determine their design principles for their default?”. They may cook something up arbitrarily, do user surveys, or rely on some mathematical principle. This is where things start to deviate immensely imo.

1 Like

I’ve seen multiple commercial and FOSS photo flows over last 4 weeks and I have soem thoughts regarding what i consider “good” approach to “good” starting point.

Some editors apply as much of their internal magic to image as possible to re-create the base response from camera and then set all the params/sliders to 0 as if THAT was the starting point. That “we tried to recreate OOC look” as a starting point. That is opposite to good, regardless how it looks. That’s what eg Lightroom is doing. And for me it’s pretty evident, where I can take couple photos in similar lighting situations and similar exposure params, yet some will look like garbage while processed by lightroom “starting poin” while others will look “totally fine”. And both garbage and fine looking have sliders set at 0.

That as I said is opposite of good regardless of looks.

So I don’t want apps lying to me and saying “yep, that’s the 0 on all corrections despite the fact that there’s magic curves applied all over the place”.

Another thing is anchoring effect (IMO). I grow to like a “neutral” (as in looking like similarly to log footage pre-grading), because there’s no anchor for me in it, there’s just endless possibilities. But in something with already enough “contrast” and “punch” i could get anchored and not go where I’d otherwise like to go. That might be hard for some people though.

So - regardless of what “default” might be, it should not lie that it’s 0 corrections applied and allow for going to “as neutral as possible”

3 Likes

Why do you want us to make your argument for you? Lots of people are happy with the current defaults, that’s why they are not proposing anything different. This point has been made ad nauseum, but because it doesn’t agree with your thesis, you won’t accept it, and now try to spin it as

Personally, I moved to open source because there were no or very few defaults baked in. This makes the discussion of a good default completely irrelevant to me - I would never use it as it came. I suspect this is true for many on these forums, which is why you don’t find many arguing your side. This is a big point of difference between open source tools and commercial tools - commercial tools want you to be wowed at first sight. Most open source don’t care about that - they want to give you the most flexibility. Therefore, my ideal default is as little turned on as possible to start with, so I don’t have to go turning everything off first. This is basically just white balance (and color calibration in darktable), demosaic, and lens correction. Does it look great? No. Is that how I want it? Yes. If there ever comes a time I want something out-of-the-box, because I don’t want to spend any time editing it, I’ll just use the OOCJpeg. And if I wanted that plus a few tweaks, I’d probably just be a lightroom user.

It’s also hard to have a non-program specific discussion about this, because some programs already come with exactly what you ask for (for example, rawtherapee has lots of profiles to choose from), while the programs that don’t, usually allow you to save a preset/style which you can then apply to all your images in one click. So you can already do the things you ask for - the only difference being you have to come to your own conclusions about what looks good out of the box and save it, as opposed to someone doing it for you.

Remember, you didn’t start this discussion by asking for our default starting points. You started by suggesting commercial programs are designed to ‘look good’ out of the box, therefore open source programs should be too. The replies to this thread have addressed that very well. It is a philosophical difference.

4 Likes

Good!

That’s a view expressed by many in this thread but no current software caters to this so it’s interesting to learn more about how and why. More over there’s a question beyond ones own preferences. What default is ideal as a starting point for new users disregarding personal preferences and thinking through workflows, expectations and learning opportunities. Perhaps it could be argued that the shock of log will force people to learn from scratch but no one has made that argument yet.

Personally starting from log and crafting unique looks would net me like 5 images a week and I typically have at least 100 to process.

I have no personal gain from this discussion.

But beyond yourself what do you think could be a good idea. Shock of log, maximized “reality”, punch drunk acid?

Yes but that includes determining or at least discussing what is good and why. This has proved incredibly difficult. As if people here are incapable of thinking beyond their personal preferences for final edits. It’s almost as if it’s considered morally wrong to step out of your own ideal finished product to think more generally about questions of software design and workflow.