[SOLVED]: Darktable HDR : help wanted

@Entropy512 HDRMerge seems to do the job very nicely and RT seems to be importing it well without any tone mapping. Thank you for the advice!

Darktable fails me again tho, I may have discovered a bug for real now:

HDRMerged dng imported in RawTherapee without any adjustments, just amazing:

HDRMerged dng imported in Darktable without any adjustments, oh my, oh my (should I report this as a bug?):

Also here is the HDRMerged dng:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UMih8E4W8BMNM9IvoPpN69ffiCvKyRlA

@paperdigits
Just to show you what I’m talking about, this is the result that went to the client:

Basically I’m looking for a way to do this in Darktable or possibly RawTherapee so I can ditch LR b/c that’s the one and only app that I need Windows for, everything else is on Linux and everything else seems to work good enough or better in Darktable except hdr x|

Does this help you?
https://youtu.be/H3q_LqVp00Q

1 Like

If you want example xmp files, post a photo that needs an HDR treatment.

By default RawTherapee has the exposure module enabled, which makes auto adjustments. Darktable has no such thing. For a fair comparison, reset the exposure module in RawTherapee.

2 Likes

Agreed.

hdrmerge and then darktable 2.7.

But I didn’t tweaked the exposure. Only used the tone equalizer relight preset and then a tone curve.

@paperdigits you’re right, once I’ve set tone curve to linear it was pretty much the same brightness. However I was not referring to that being an issue in that example but rather the countless artifacts in the image.

Take another look but expand the image:

You see these dots all over the image? Almost looks like dead and hot pixels.

Enable and tweak the hot pixels module

EDIT: it worked with me this way:

@gadolf

No way, those are really hot pixels??!

Worked like a charm tho!

Humm, kind of hard for now.

For a quick and dirty edit, I’d try to use exposure + filmic + tone curve. In filmic, start with a preset, then tweak the middle grey luminance. Also, if you get strange colors, disable preserve chroma, and readjust extreme luminance saturation to your taste.
This is from memory.

1 Like

Oh boy!! It’s perfect <33
That’s almost exactly what you get with LR after merging I say almost b/c this also seems to be a bit better!

Just with hot pixels like you said and tone curve that’s what RT had by default like @paperdigits pointed out. Also the HDRMerge was the key here.

1 Like

No, they are not. The RawTherapee output does not show this artifacts and (I checked) no hot/dead pixels were fixed.

@heckflosse should I make a bug report?

Yes, seems to be a bug.

Alright, will do!

Guys, you’re awesome!
I literally can’t believe this was solved so quickly and with such an amazing results both in DT and RT.
I’ll probably be back with more questions as I move my workflow to DT but for now I think that I have everything that I need and that it works (as far as my testing so far) so I’m ditching LR effective immediately.

One observation, Darktable seems to be quite technical. Don’t change it. I’ve been editing for quite a few years and never thought about how the underlying thing actually works and that seems to be the reason why I was stuck now. I’m excited to learn it all now :smiley:

Thank you ppl!

1 Like

Hmm, I could have sworn I saw something about the sliders in RT DRC not doing anything, one thing to keep in mind (this was the topic of some recent discussion on RT’s UI) - it’s possible to adjust a module’s sliders when the module is still turned off.

Also RT has at least two different approaches to tonemapping, one is literally called tonemapping, the other is Dynamic Range Compression - I personally prefer the DRC tool.

@Entropy512 Yes, I didn’t know I had to enable the module and kept moving sliders xD but when I figured it out I edited the comment.

In case you are open to other possibilities, here is what I could achieve with PhotoFlow. The starting point is a TIFF file produced with RT and the “neutral” profile, because I have just noticed that PhotoFlow suffers from the same artifacts as DT when reading the HDRmerge DNG.

FYI PhotoFlow processes the image using layers (instead of the modules of DT and RT), and is therefore closer to Photoshop and GIMP. The whole processing is non-destructive, and layers can be associated with opacity masks for local adjustments.

Here is what I could achieve in about 30’, trying to get close to your final result (I’m not totally satisfied by the way the sky turned out):

Here is the corresponding Photoflow pfi file:
DJI_0096-0100_HDRM.pfi (54.2 KB)
and the link to the RT output tiff file.

If you want to open the pfi file, you will need a version of photoflow from today or newer. For Linux you can use this AppImage package. Just make it executable and run it.

If you are not interested… sorry for the spam!

EDIT: updated link to appimage package https://github.com/aferrero2707/PhotoFlow/releases/download/continuous/PhotoFlow-git-stable-20191023_2030-d646102fdbfc9a11ab7a22bda5fd4dff69f52498-x86_64.AppImage

2 Likes

Here’s the result of RT dev

DJI_0096-0100_HDRM.jpg.out.pp3 (12.1 KB)

I don’t understand. I could get easily and completely rid of those artifacts with Phf:

Before:

After: