[SOLVED][Performance git-master] darkroom much less performant, dt-2.7 vs. dt-2.6.2

Hmmmm…

interesting…:

• our machines are quite comparable
  • we both use opencl_synch_cache=active module in dt 2.7
  • and you consider, your response is same than 2.6.2 when you move WB sliders (actually I have that lag also elsewhere), where both of us use opencl_synch_cache=false.

I thought that “active module” costs me some little performance and hence I opened that bug report, I listed above. Fortunately I said there already, it might be related to something totally different…

Below I have compared our both dt-2.7 darktablerc files.

• you are not using async_pixelpipe, so I should be in benefint, but seems I am not
  • your priority setting is acc. to standard. you might try mine. Mine shall be exactly the correct one for multiple GPU
  • you use headroom=0, at least unusual :slight_smile:
  • event_handles, I use 300 and up to now I didn’t get that error, which is described in the handbook, but I could reduce to your value
  • strange is your setting opencl_omit_whitebalance= (and no value there)
  • The last four line are those, where is no equivalent in the other one’s and frankly speaking, after googling for such, I am the same stupid than before

What does all this teach us?
I’ll start from a virgin file again and merge my tweaks in that, let’s see.

Update ~5min later:
I did so, and except opencl_number_event_handles and opencl_async_pixelpipe it is more or less like my current one. So not that much learned up to now :-/

Your thoughts are very welcome…

AxelG   | opencl_async_pixelpipe=true
pk5dark | opencl_async_pixelpipe=FALSE
AxelG   | opencl_scheduling_profile=multiple GPUs
AxelG   | opencl_device_priority=*/*/*/*

pk5dark | opencl_scheduling_profile=very fast GPU
pk5dark | opencl_device_priority=0/!0,*/*/*
AxelG   | opencl_memory_headroom=300
pk5dark | opencl_memory_headroom=0
AxelG   | opencl_number_event_handles=300
pk5dark | opencl_number_event_handles=175
AxelG   | opencl_omit_whitebalance=false
pk5dark | opencl_omit_whitebalance=
AxelG   | opencl_disable_drivers_blacklist=false
AxelG   | opencl=TRUE

pk5dark | opencl_runtime=
pk5dark | opencl_use_events=FALSE

There is still something very wrong with dt git master.
On the exact same empty (default) history stack, 2.6.2 looks nice and snappy, while git master is extremely laggy.
(and ui, even ignoring the theming changes, it looks comically misproportioned, oversized.)

The last revisions makes again darktable master fast on my computer as Axel or other confirmed (except for Axel the WB sliders as he himself told), and I didn’t see any differences by now with darktable 2.6.2, except lots of good adds that makes master a far better darktable ever.

About UI, yes you’re right, darktable.css adapt with default OS font make the UI comically misproportioned, oversized. That why darktable-elegant theme is here, to avoid that !

@Nilvus
for me it is not that drastically as @LebedevRI described, but I can still notice that.

It is important to say, I am not complaining. WIth those reports I want to support to make dt better!

I cannot call it very laggy, hence I issued below mentioned bug report.

Roman as you are a dev, maybe your voice counts more. Hence may I kindly ask you to look into this issue #2514 of mine?

Huh, it’s not default?

Nope, sorry, can’t do. I stopped contributing a year+ ago, except for basic camera support.
And seeing the progression since then, i wonder if i will have to move that too elsewhere.

Ok, I’ve written you said (except your last issue) that one of the last revision makes darktable now faster. And of course, darktable could, I think, be more faster anyway.

1 Like

No, darktable-elegant.css is not the default one. The default one is a version of this theme with OS default font and not Roboto, version of darktable-elegant.css made by @houz.

Depending of your OS font, that could change a lot the UI.

I don’t know what you don’t like in progression of darktable since a year but I think darktable just improves a lot since. Anyway, thanks for what you done on darktable and camera support since.