Somet Question About the Next Version of Darktable

Hey guys, I am a photography enthusiast. I noticed that Darktable hasn’t been updated for a long time, about several months. I really want to see the next version of DT. So can anyone tell me when the next update to DT will be? And what new function will it add? Or if there already has something like plans for update? Who can show me the way? Thanks for all of you who have read this post!

Not even three months:

That is not a long time. Be patient. :wink:

2 Likes

Darktable is released twice per year, usually around Christmas and in June/July.
If you want, you can get a new build with the latest features every day: Release Darktable nightly build 20231014 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub
What changed recently: Commits · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub
What is/may be coming (not necessarily in 4.6): Pull requests · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub
The work-in-progress release notes: https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/blob/master/RELEASE_NOTES.md

6 Likes

DT does a stable release every six months and I find that impressive. Not a long time. However, Bill Ferguson posts a weekly windows build here every week which I use exclusively.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply and the links!

OK, I’ll wait patiently.

1 Like

I’d like to try the weekly build first, but just try. As for the processing of important photos, I’ll wait for the next formal version.

Just turn off xmp writing in preference for the weekly build and be sure to install it in its own directory like … \darktable_wkly or whatever and then just run it using --configdir “path” where path is a folder that you can use to hold the new config files for that version… you can edit away with the new weekly and it should not impact your existing install at all…

2 Likes