Sony ARW looks yellow in RT

Here is Lightroom without touching the temp slider at all.

Didn’t do anything here

Hitting the Auto button.

Well … after some years without touching “color science” … I forgot something critical … that (as Torger wrote back then) measures are better with the “Look table” unchecked :wink:

Is that conversion a linear process or are curves involved? I’m guessing it is non-linear, since I have not been able to quite get what I want simply by changing the three color channel gains or black points.

Paul

Aha, this post put me on to the cause and cure for my dissatisfaction with how my images look in RT. RT has a profile for the Sony a6000 but it does not for the a6500. However, the default apparently is to use “camera standard” in both cases. At least the “camera standard” setting propagated into my default profile. And “camera standard” is NOT a good fit for the a6000 or a6500. Setting it to “auto matched camera profile” for the a6000 and “no profile” for the a6500 gives me very acceptable coloration in both my test images, as well as many others I tried. And actually. setting it to “no profile” gets me close enough that I’m happy.

So… I think we can put this thread to bed. With the correct profile selected (or no profile if there is none) my images look great… just about exactly the same as I can get in C1 (including the high ISO shot). Now if RT or someone could generate an a6500 profile, all would be perfect.

Great discussion! And gratefully free of pedantry and rancor… all too common on the 'net these days.

Paul

EDIT: I was hoping to be able to select “auto matched camera profile” in my saved default profile and then have it default to “no profile” if it did not find a camera profile (like for my a6500). However, if it does not find a profile when set to “auto matched camera profile” it defaults to “camera standard”. So my compromise is to save my default profile with it set to “no profile”. Looks good enough.

If you take the necessary shots, someone will generate the profile.

hi @ilias_giarimis,
yes, I also forgot to mention explicitly that I never use the look table – indeed, it’s always off in the sidecars I posted

There is two conversion steps that you’ve actually already found out by now: first is a simple matrix operation that transforms the ‘camera colour space’ to a ‘real’ colour space. Then there can be (but not necessarily is) a lookup table that does some specific camera profiling. See for more details: DCP FIles

Now, when you select “No profile” in RT, afaik, you skip both steps. This is really not recommended. See Color Management - RawPedia
The best thing to do if you don’t like the “Camera standard” or “Auto matched camera profile” options, is to produce a DCP profile of your own, like @paperdigits suggests. See here how to do that: How to create DCP color profiles - RawPedia
This is the only way to guarantee accurate colours for your images. Anything else would be added flavour to your own liking.

1 Like

One more thing OP could do is install the Adobe DNG Converter to get access to Adobe Standard DCP profiles for the Sony cameras – they’re quite OK as a starting point, and they’re dual-illuminant so pretty universal.

When setting up a general purpose RT profile for Sony a6400 I did the following in order to imitate the Lightroom default look:

The Adobe Baseline Exposure setting from the DCP profile isn’t respected in RT and the PV2012 (3) has highlight protection, so change the following when using Adobe DCP profiles: tick all the input profile boxes, in Exposure tab disable Auto-matched curve, set Exp. Comp. to 0.35 (Adobe Baseline Exposure value for a6400), Highlight Compression 30/Thresh.0, Black 150, Shadow Compression 20. Highlight reconstruction might be ON (Blend) – use higher Highlight Compression values for active reconstruction of highlights.

In the raw tab, use the double demosaicing AMaZE+VNG. Use Capture Sharpening instead of the R-L Deconvolution sharpening – set the lens corner blur mitigation if your lens needs it; it’s similar to what DxO and C1 offer in this respect. Watch out for false colour suppression in demosaicing settings – unless there’s really problematic moire don’t use values above 1 when there are small, red elements in the photo. Demosaicing border value set at 12 to get 6000x4000 dimensions. You could add some Contrast by Detail Levels: set Level 0 at 1.50 for input sharpening (like Structure slider in C1).

I also tweak my colours for anti-green skin tones (I like to use the Vibrance tool for that), anti-magenta skies (I use HSV Equalizer), and juicy foliage (I use Color Toning for that). I usually do use the Look table from the DCP profile but for some reason RT desaturates colours too much when using it, so I compensate by using Lab saturation.

Save all of this as a processing profile and apply to all your photos so that you have a nice starting point for some small additional tweaks like WB, tone-mapping, etc.

1 Like

Thanks you for all the above! Last night I unpacked the downloaded DNG converter executable and saved the various DCP files. Note that at least on my Windows PC, simply installing the program did NOT place the DCP files anywhere on my hard drive. I saw them unpack, but they were nowhere to be found after installation. However, if you add a .zip file extension to the downloaded .exe file, you can unzip the file with 7zip and get access to the contents.

I also found that after installing the DNG converter, it was not on the list of installed programs and was therefore not uninstallable through Control Panel. To remove it, I simply deleted the files from the Program Files and App Data folders. I wonder if it needed to be installed as administrator?

My first impression is that I didn’t like the results using the standard a6500 profile. However, I have not tried them all and I will also try your steps above to see if I can generate an overall “starting point” RT profile. In the mean time, using “no profile” really looks pretty good on every image I have tried it on. Way better than “camera standard”.

I have not fully tested this yet, but it seems that RT looks for a camera specific profile of a specific file name? So if I have more than one DCP file, it will only automatically select the one with the exact filename it is looking for? You can manually apply a “custom” profile of a different name. Last night that seemed to be how it worked, anyway.

Paul

Unless you want to use DNG converter, the simple way on Windows to use the different profiles (DCP or LCP) is first to change the type of file from exe to zip. Then with 7zip find the location of the profiles in the zip and extract it where you want. Nothing to install.

On my system they go directly to C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Adobe Standard
I prefer starting from the Adobe Standard rather than the Camera Standard profiles.
No, I don’t think there’s an uninstaller for the DNG Converter so the manual removal is the way to go.

Yes, this part is pretty subjective – I like the Adobe Standard variety because it gives me a similar starting point for my cameras, so I’ve learnt to do some similar moves to optimize the look I’m after. But I also make my own custom profiles with DCamProf, and it gives me more neutral colours when I need it.

As said before – the no input profile option is not the way to go, but if it gives you what you want, then why not…

I don’t think it auto-select the input profile – C1 and Lr do this, but in RT and in DxO you need to direct the program to a particular profile, which it then remembers. But if you save the processing profile, it will include the specific input profile you chose.

1 Like

Hmmm… I didn’t think to look in the Program Data folder since the Windows search function did not turn them up after searching my entire hard drive. But you are correct… when I specifically looked, there they were. Apparently Windows Search does not search the Program Data folder even when you start at the C: root.

Setting a specific camera profile might work if I only had one camera. But I have the a6000 and the a6500 so I need to have the program auto select (which it does, BTW). If you hover over the camera auto select feature, the pop up box explains it. I also checked and the a6000 profile is not good for the a6500 and vice versa. I have now tried them all and I think I prefer the “neutral” over the “standard” so I have a new default profile with the “neutral” profile renamed as “SONY ILCE-6500.dcp” and placed in the profiles folder… and life is good :wink:

Paul

As to the studio scene - is that the incandescent or is that the “daylight” version?

A limitation of DPR’s studio test scene is that the “daylight” shots cannot be used for profiling. As discussed in rawpedia’s instructions on profiling, a high-CRI LED or CFL bulb will NOT generate a valid D50 profile.

As to profiling with a colorchecker - a bit of followup to my earlier discussion with @Morgan_Hardwood - I got lucky yesterday and we had sun! So I have A6300 and A6500 noon winter sun shots. A question though - the instructions talk about trying to avoid an environment with reflections, how much would snow reflections throw off the profile? (that will be unavoidable for a while…)

I’m hoping to take StdA shots tonight before packing up for the holidays to provide to Morgan.

One question Morgan - I noticed that the instructions given on rawpedia also will generate a LookTable in addition to a HueSatMap - but at least the DCPs I see for the A7M3 only have the HueSatMap. What dcamprof options were used for the A7M3 DCPs? Over the holidays I might submit some updates to rawpedia based on my experiences with taking a crack at profiling, such as the benefits of argyll-scanin’s -F option.

hi,

could you elaborate on that?
in my (totally empirical, admittedly uninformed) experience, they work pretty well, but if you have evidence of the contrary I would be very happy to know. iirc (but I might be wrong) I’ve seen comments by @iliah_borg on dpreview suggesting that they would do the job fine…

I’m no expert at all, but I think the problems with reflections comes when the light bounces off non neutral-colored surfaces. Snow is white, as far as I know, and I bet this would not affect the profiling.

Every document I’ve seen on profiling says “Don’t use LED or CFL lighting”. It may be more acceptable in cases like Iliah’s where he’s measured the spectrum of the illuminant with a spectrophotometer…

This is my assumption, but you never know. At least it IS clean snow. It may in fact have a color cast that is enough to throw off a profile but not obvious to the human eye.

You should have a look at the dynamic profile in the settings. You can load one profile for camera A and another profile for camera B…

Thanks for that tip, I had not noticed dynamic profiles before now. Not only can it load specific processing profiles based on metadata items, the processing profiles can be configured to use any DCP profile, not just the specific one that is named for my camera.

Paul

As an FYI, I have A6300 and A6500 ColorChecker shots under both stdA and D50 now. I’ll submit them to @Morgan_Hardwood soon, hopefully tomorrow. Maybe even later tonight - but I just got to my parents for the holidays and I’m a bit tired after packing and then driving 4 hours.

4 Likes

Thanks! While the Adobe profiles I borrowed from DNG converter are acceptable, I don’t think they are totally right. I’d be interested in how a profile made from yours would look.

Paul