Steam Up. Mono conversion using darktable

I think it was an ironic judgment as certainly he was not pleased with the rendering.

To approach this rendering, on contrary, I have to push the contrast, global and local.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for sharing. I liked the overall composition so I didn’t crop. Old vehicles make photographs really look like a fragment of time. I added a bit of a retro Kodak Portra look.

dt 4.0.1

IMG_0140.CR2.xmp (13.0 KB)

3 Likes

did the judge talk about the image you just posted? Because there’s a lot of contrast. Also the image itself has a lot of contrast because it’s shot in harsh sunlight.

1 Like

Yes I agree. Not a lack of contrast…maybe too much in my opinion. Just forgive judges…they are only human after all.

I guess the HDR look is deliberate and contain more detail than my interpretation. However, I’m not a fan of HDR as it usually looks false, largely a matter of personal taste.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting. My try in darktable plus some sharpening in the Gimp.

IMG_0140.CR2.xmp (25.3 KB)

5 Likes

Looks good @bernyemm (fancy seeing you here!). Maybe a touch underexposed in the shadows though.

1 Like

Underexposed in the shadows.
It’s a bugbear with me as I cut my teeth on film negatives and black & white prints. It’s a conundrum of the times we live in. I still think in terms of printed images on paper which had a certain magic. Images on a computer screen seem to lack that quality which I can’t verbally describe. For me, there has always been an indescribable beauty in the black and white printed image which never left me and I always felt something was missing when I looked at a colour image. Even colour slide images projected on a screen lacked that certain something that a monochrome image had . Maybe that’s why I was such a fan of early Ansel Adams images.

Very nice interpretation.

There are labs who will make a digital print on gelatin silver paper. I’ve had. a few printed. They are really nice but pricey.

1 Like

I’m very late to the party with my version!

IMG_0140.CR2.xmp (12.9 KB)

2 Likes

If that lacks contrast, people saying so should check their eyes or their monitor!
Maybe the image is overly sharpened, but I think the contrast is nice.
Sander Knopper’s version may be a bit better, however.

My attempt

and Old foto

1 Like

One more version…

IMG_0140_01.CR2.xmp (15.1 KB)

2 Likes

To be honest , I think the colour versions work better!

2 Likes

The red and blue really draw the eye’s attention.

Maybe some “postcard colors”?

IMG_0140.CR2.xmp (25.0 KB)

2 Likes