Strange colors on sunset images

Hi there,
I’m new here … I hope I’m doing all fine …

My problem is that I’m having strange colors on sunset images. (nikon dlsm, raw images). In many cases the sun is surrounded by salmon-like colors. This is am example.

For comparison I used lightroom. Here the image looks much better around the sun.

I would like to solve this using darktable. What could be the problem? I tried using Filmic RGB as well as highlight reconstruction.

Looking forward to your answers - thanks!

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3CeJ1F4wV8

If you are willing to share your image we could look at the issue. In the meantime try setting the highlight reconstruction mode to to another option such as reconstruct in Lch and see if that helps.

Check this thread for some discussion and answers. need help for correct colors

@Terry Thanks for the offer. I attached the RAW file.

20221016 183320 196.NEF (51.0 MB)

In the meantime I will check the youtube video and the other thread. Thanks.

Check the thread I shared…basically your issue…

I am not sure if you would like what I have done here. The main point was I switched to Filmic V5 based upon a suggestion by @priort in another post. This gave me control over the saturation of highlights easier than in Filmic V6. However, my result produce a very yellow/orange highlights rather than clipped to white. I chose to then subdue this by using the color zones module and a soft edge mask around the area of the sun as shown below. I reduced the saturation of orange by a little here.

I would be interested if anyone else can come up with a simpler and better edit to achieve the desired outcome.

I then tried another trick where I used the same mask in color zones to add yellow to the remaiing salmon color but shift the hue for that salmon color.

o

If you use the latitude setting along with the midtone saturation which you can use to both add and remove saturation you can really usually control things… also just using the filmic HLR with a little bloom and desaturation can also tame the magenta and let you pull back yellow… That is why I like v5 with the sunsets… also the tone eq blended in blue can be the final tool…more blue = less yellow and less blue is more yellow if you need it…

When AP first introduced V6 I struggled with the loss of some of the controls. However, I got use to V6 and found it easier to teach students to use. However, I am now realising that V5 still has some uses such as these sunsets. It is great that we have the options in DT.

Wow, that is something I had never thought about doing. Using separate instances of the tone equalizer for the individual RGB channels is a brilliant idea. There are a few images I would like to try this suggestion on. Thanks for the tip.

I did get a couple of versions in v6 that were okay…may not have preserved the original colors though… Basically the same only with one bumping up the shadows a bit…

20221016 183320 196_01.NEF.xmp (12.1 KB)

20221016 183320 196.NEF.xmp (11.1 KB)

2 Likes

20221016 183320 196.NEF.xmp (12.4 KB)

Using Filmic. The one above is using sigmoid

1 Like

My version using dt 4.0.1 and filmic v5

20221016 183320 196.NEF.xmp (19.8 KB)

Here’s a shot at it.

20221016 183320 196_06.NEF.xmp (16.2 KB)

Had to export with Adobe RGB (compatible) to get the area around the sun to look like the darkroom view.

My version (a lot of edition)

20221016 183320 196.NEF.xmp (12,5 KB)

another simpler version

20221016 183320 196_01.NEF.xmp (11,1 KB)

In general I like highlights to become desaturated (white) But in this case I prefer orange/yellow.

20221016 183320 196.NEF.xmp (16.0 KB)

1 Like

I didn’t really see that …exported with DT and opened it and compared side by side…seem the same in DT??

Jpg on the right…

Maybe I just don’t look closely

When I look at your color around the sun, it appears the similar to what I have arrived at by gamut compression in color calibration such that there is no change when I use softproofing. I haven’t followed your development closely enough to figure out how you get that. When I softproof all the other edits, I see a change in color around the sun. If you load my xmp and softproof it, you’ll see a change. It gets worse when I create a jpg in sRGB.

What I showed was your xmp…just exported it and pulled it back into DT…they looked the same to be without crazy pixel peeping… I guess I can take another look…