Strange colors on sunset images

jpg on left, dt right.

Stepping through the history stack of your image, starting at 16 local contrast and applying softproofing, there is a big change in the area around the sun. Going up one step to filmic greatly reduces the change. Going up to white balance eliminates the change almost completely. Tone equalizer gets rid of what little change is left.

The orange in the sky around the sun in your image looks less saturated than around the sun in my image. Mine apparently is out of the sRGB gamut. At least that’s my analysis.

Just curious, but why do you use white balance for the calibration change instead of color calibration?

Bill I am a little lost and it could be on me. If your comments are for me…its not showing that they are a response to my post in the thread. In any case I will assume they are and if that’s not the case you can clarify. In my initial comment on your post I was merely referring to this statement you made…

I was curious so I downloaded your xmp and applied it and exported as sRGB and compared it to your edit in DT and they were a very good match…my screenshot here is 80% jpg so I guess there could be a small penalty…

Your edit on the left and the resulting jpg on my system look like this…

I now also downloaded your posted image which is stripped of the metadata so I am not sure how it differs from the xmp you posted but perhaps its the result of the AdobeRGB output you speak about…

Now comparing that to the edit as derived from the xmp you posted for sure I can see a difference but again I am not sure exact steps produced that one as for sure I don’t get that darker one using your provided xmp…

Below is your edit again on the left and this time the jpg you uploaded to pixls as displayed on my screen is on the right…

So in summary I didn’t find a mismatch in the output and darkroom view using the posted xmp and an export from my system.

Further if I export to Adobe and view back in DT or a color managed view it looks the same …bit desaturated around the sun so I am not sure how the posted jpg you have is more saturated…

Maybe check that the xmp posted matches the image posted?? Or maybe I am not understanding what you did??

I don’t seem to have the ability to take a full screenshot in windows in jpg format. It pastes into the folder I save it in as a png.

Looking at your last screenshot, my edit on the left looks like the jpg on my screen, and the jpg on the right looks like my edit on my screen. IOW the opposite of your screenshot.

My monitor is a BenQ 2700PT, calibrated for sRGB.

Your going to get crazy histograms…histo profile is usually linear rec2020 esp if that is your working profile…you want to know as you edit looking at the histogram what is going on in that color space… not sure why you have it set for that… also custom display profiles can introduce some issues given the way the pipeline order things and runs them through the display profile… in any case maybe it is just that…

So what you are saying is that you get the jpg that you posted from that xmp posted along with it?? That would be my question because to me its not a match on my system and when I output an edit using your xmp file my exported jpg is a very good match in faststone viewer, win 11 photo and back in DT but I am sure some other curious sole will take a crack at it…

You are using my Adobe compatible jpg, I believe, for your comparison.

sRGB jpg

Adobe compatible

The Adobe compatible is what my edit looks like in dt.

I forgot that for some investigation of something or other that I changed from linear rec2020 to sRGB, and I didn’t change it back. I have done that now.

Do you see a difference between the two jpgs?

I can see this difference. I am thinking that you mean you export this with either srgb or adobe colorspace in your output profile when you say the quoted statement above…not sure… as even doing so for me will show the same image as it gets handled by the color management but maybe this is where I go wrong and I don’t understand what your adobe compatible means… In any case not really important… I was just responding to your original question and I saw no issue with display vs exported… maybe share the xmp for this “Adobe” edit if it is something more than just changing the output profile for export??

It’s just output profile in the storage options module.

To my mind in a color managed app or viewer these should look the same on a monitor with sRGB gamut which is what I see. Maybe if your monitor supports Adobe gamut and it might then the two exported files could look different I suppose when you bring them back in after export.

My monitor supports Adobe. I’ve brought the two jpgs back into dt, and they look different. Your saying when you do that you don’t see a difference?

My attempt

GIMP - correction in the LAB space

I only have a monitor that covers sRGB. So when I take your xmp, the initial one you provided and export it using both sRGB and Adobe and then bring them back into DT and look at them they are roughly the same which I believe is what I would expect from cor management. And they look like the darkroom preview of the edit. If I load the two JPG you provide I see the difference opening them in DT…so that was why I asked if you had done anything different.

That’s just what I get…

And looking at them outside of dt, you don’t see a difference, or you do?

I’ll check mine vs yours in a couple of viewers…will have to be later I suspect the same

I meant do you see a difference between my sRGB and Adobe jpgs outside of dt?

Sorry I do which is strange. I tried to see if there was some setting accounting for that but you don’t seem to save the metadata so I couldn’t load the JPGs as a sidecar to check…

Just when you look at the jpgs here in this thread, do you see a difference. Both of them come from the xmp I put in my original post. The only difference is on export, one used the sRGB profile and one used Adobe compatible.

I usually leave my export settings on use image settings and do the output change in the output profile… I have two versions of DT running …one with the sigmoid PR… somewhere going back and forth at some point in time I must have changed the setting in the export dialogue in one of the versions to sRGB and wasn’t paying attention. I only noticed now as I went in specifically to review my settings and see if there was a difference doing the colorspace selection from the export dialogue vs the way I normally do it… So…sorry for the noise. I do see the difference in the exported jpg’s that you are showing when I actually do export it to adobergb :slight_smile:

My version…

20221016 183320 196.NEF.xmp (17.9 KB)

2 Likes

Thank you all for such a lot response. That’s really great. :sunglasses: Due to my work I was not yet able to check all the different answers in detail.

@Terry I checked highlight reconstruction in Lch. That helped a bit.

@Underexposed Exporting the image using Adobe RGB (compatible) helps avoiding those salmon-like colors.