Strange darktable version number

I remember I have read of a similar issue here, but I didn’t manage to find the right search string to find the thread, so sorry for a duplicate.

After messing with git commands, I deleted my whole dt build directory, and re-cloned it from github. Everything else worked fine, but my version number is now 8348a7c. I’m on Fedora Linux 37 (Workstation Edition).

I issued the following commands:

git clone --recurse-submodules --depth 1 https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable.git
cd darktable/
git config submodule.src/tests/integration.update none
git checkout master
./build.sh --prefix /opt/darktable --build-type Release --install --sudo

There was one error message in the output

[  1%] Building el locale
[  2%] Updating version string (git checkout)
[  2%] Building de locale
[  2%] Building da locale
fatal: No names found, cannot describe anything.
Version string: 8348a7c
1923 translated messages, 524 fuzzy translations, 608 untranslated messages.
[  2%] Built target create_version_gen
3058 translated messages.

Hi,

it references the commit of the repository where the code belongs.
In your case: GitHub - darktable-org/darktable at 8348a7cae541d7ae15bc8fa9e9ce6e274839df53

It’s only used a few first characters because the risk of collision with another commit is really low.

Earlier the version string has been something like 4.3.0+0123~ge5f9787a7, not only the git commit reference, as it is now.

On darktable UI, it’s still that number (4.3.0+xxx…). See below:

I never really check how it was handle on Git build lines though but I think how it shown on the UI is more important than on Git lines (commit is a good and minimum thing for Git though).

I don’t have that, I have only the number also in UI.

git fetch --all

You’re missing the tags from upstream (--depth 1 in your clone command). I think this has been covered already in the forum…

You could be on some unattached branch as well (git status)…

No I found the old thread.

I re-cloned, and dropped the depth --1 from the command, and now I get version 4.3.0+59~g8549ebe84.

Thank you.