Stuck building Gimp from source

@RawConvert - the only update I would make to my “how to” article is to change the urls for cloning. But when I try the gitlab urls, I get the same sort of messages you got, asking about authenticity and such. I’ve never seen these sorts of messages before. So I won’t make changes to the page until I find out what/why/where of these messages. The old git.gnome urls seem to still work, but who knows for how much longer.

Hmm, I didn’t really notice what version of Ubuntu you were using, but 16.04 has libraries that are old enough that building GIMP 2.9 at this point is not easy to do, in fact is very difficult. It would be better to use a newer distribution.

There is no such thing as the perfect distribution, but Debian testing is a rolling distribution that has almost all the required current libraries - probably all except maybe the mypaint brushes. Other rolling distributions include OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, Debian Sid, Gentoo, Arch. Sabayon always sounded like a nice distribution to try. And the most current version of Ubuntu also should work.

Did you manage to solve this problem? Any Debian-based distribution such as Ubuntu will require adding the source URIs to your sources.list. In Debian this can be done using the Synaptic package manager (I’m not sure what Ubuntu uses these days). Or it can be done by directly editing the sources.list file. This page shows what the source URIs look like for Debian:

https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList

As an aside, in case you switch to a non-Debian-based binary distribution, all binary distributions have equivalents to sources.list, that allow you to access the source code for various libraries and programs. But the relevant configuration file isn’t called “sources.list” for all distributions.

@ RawConvert Andrew

The errors come from the use of GIT SSH.

If you do not succeed I advise you to download archives…

:o)

You can see that if you look at the 'buntu ppa gimp-edge : otto06217

16.04 Xenial (LTS) stuck on Gimp 2.9.9 from 24 December 2017 IMHO a bit crazy for a long-term-support version EOL 2021.

I gave it a try a couple of weeks ago, just ran into dependency hell. Life is too short.

1 Like

For all of you who are running not-so-recent linux versions, I encourage you to give my AppImage a try: Release Continuous · aferrero2707/gimp-appimage · GitHub

It is exactly meant to avoid the trouble of building GIMP and the related dependencies on older systems. Note that the appimage itself is built under Ubuntu 14.04, with many dependencies being compiled from sources. Each new version of the AppImage package is built using the git head versions of BABL/GEGL/GIMP.

1 Like

@ RawConvert Andrew

I tried the archive recommended by Carmelo_DrRaw on XUbuntu 64-bit 16-04 mounted in VirtualBox (I am on Win 10 pro 64-bit).
It’s very simple and very practical to implement:

1 Like

Thanks all for the further tips and suggestions. I’ve accepted defeat re. a native compile!
It’s some consolation it’s not just my system having the git clone problems, though I’m sorry it’s affecting lots of people.
@samj, yes, I tried the appimage and it’s working.

I haven’t got the “bandwidth” at present to get into moving to another distro. As you say @rich2005, life too short.

@Elle, you asked about sources list. I didn’t get anywhere with this, I thought it would be a text file but when I clicked it, it seemed to execute and produced a settings window, out of my depth! You mentioned installing git-all, I did this but there were errors which from googling seem to be down to “upstart” and systemd, there’s a suggested fix. Nothing is easy huh!

@Carmelo_DrRaw, you’ve been making plenty gimp appimages lately, you’re a star.

Must go…

Then you will be surprised and upset to discover how lazy I am… all those AppImage packages are generated automatically by a Travis CI cron job that runs every Thursday night!

By the way, the build process stopped working last week because GIMP requires a fontconfig version newer than the one I have in the Docker container I am using for the build process, so I need to update it. An updated package should appear in a couple of days…

1 Like

Please keep in mind that the extended support granted by Canonical only applies to some core parts of the system. It would actually be crazy to expect all the developers out there that have no affiliation with Canonical whatsoever to adhere to their marketing claim that some system from 2 years ago is still supported.

A freshly produced GIMP AppImage is ready for download, based on the BABL/GEGL/GIMP git HEAD versions as of today. You can get it from here.

1 Like

Perfect!
I got stuck with the fontconfig version on Debian stable too. Your AppImage just works. Thanks!

1 Like

Any hints or insights on how I maybe able to help get the gmic plugin back in there?

Hi, and thanks for offering help!

At the moment I checked that I can compile the plug-in with my Ubuntu 14.04 development system, now the next step is to bundle the required QT5 libraries in the AppImage and see if it works.
So I will mostly need help testing the AppImage once ready. Also, at some point we should maybe consider involving other people in the maintenance of those regular builds. It is all based on GitHub and Travis, so it should not be difficult to give access to other contributors…

Sadly, I have to agree that it is always nearly impossible to build gimp from git.

Bonjour,

The truth is that there is no problem for the deposit of Gimp GIT.
I just tested:

test_git_gim_20180602

:o)

1 Like

@SheetM, @samj, interesting. I was planning to come back to building gimp in due course, though I’m rather busy at the moment. That’s good news the clone is working, as I remember Elle found it broken, and if she couldn’t do it then I had no chance!

I use Ubuntu (16.04) but previously @Morgan_Hardwood suggested this was not the best OS for building gimp. I have some space on my hard drive where I could install a new OS (or latest Ubuntu) for building and using gimp. So if anyone can recommend the OS that would be great. Here’s what I’m looking for…

1. Be able to compile latest dev gimp using a tried and tested recipe which is working for folks currently. (I don’t know much about linux so the recipe has to work reliably. The instructions for RT are great like this , I need something similar for gimp. The recipe needs to include getting all dependencies. I won’t be doing it daily, just every several weeks)
  2. The accompanying OS should ideally be as Ubuntu-like as possible, so I don’t have a load of learning curve. But that is secondary to having the build process work properly and reliably.

I know there are web pages devoted to building gimp, but previously I’ve just got stuck, so that’s why I’m asking for details of a proven and current set-up. I know also there are the appimages, but I’d like a native-built gimp which will hopefully make full use of my i7 processor.

To compile the latest GIMP/GEGL/BABL from git in Gentoo/Sabayon:

sudo emerge =media-gfx/gimp-9999

Done.

Thanks, I think I can type that, LOL. I forgot to mention about harmonising safely with my current set-up with a couple of Ubuntus and an Ubuntu Studio, on two discs, all booted via the Grub loader. Do Gentoo and Sabayon use Grub please?

Yes.

Gentoo is source-based and is installed manually, which is not easy for a newcomer. Sabayon has a graphical installer and uses precompiled binaries by default, with the option of letting the user compile software from source if the need arises, as is the case here with GIMP from git.

Yes! Head Hurts! Owwww…

I’m trying to get three working builds of rawproc 0.7, linux, w32, and w64. Lensfun bolloxed the mingw-64 cross-compile for me, finally settled on mxe, good stuff. However, I just discovered their current gcc version, 5.4, doesn’t take too well to c++11 , so that required some backtracking with nullptr. All on Ubuntu LTS 16.04, which presented the old library thing in spades.

I built a VM at work with the new Ubuntu LTS, and things are a lot cleaner there with regard to the libraries. For 0.7 I’ll still have the mxe foo, but I’m going to monitor their commits, build it from scratch for 0.8 when they upgrade the compiler.

Not much camera time, of late…

Thanks again, I will aim for Sabayon then.