Sunrise above Monaco

P1100003.RW2.pp3 (12.8 KB)

a-P1100003-2.jpg.out.arp (12.1 KB)

P1100003.RW2.xmp (9.0 KB)

P1100003.RW2.xmp (13.3 KB)

I have just signed up, because I could not resist the temptation to have a try at this wonderful image. I am very much a beginner. I have increased the contrast in the darkest areas and added an overlay of FEA45C to the brightest parts - all done in GIMP.

3 Likes

Very nice @david! Welcome.

Nice photo for a playraw @brabbel. I decided to crop out the foreground and focus strictly on the main subject. Panoramic view of a sunrise over Monaco marina. (Worth looking at the place because, apparently, one pays about 100,000 USD for a five night parking fee during the F-1 race!)
Here is a execution of that idea using RawTherapee 5.8.
P1100003.jpg.out.pp3 (12.4 KB)

My take. RT+G’MIC.

1 Like

Lovely shot, thanks for sharing!
My attempt using ART 1.2 development version with new texture boost.

No local masks were needed, just tone equalizer, curve, soft light, local contast, texture boost. I found that colour propagation produced a nice looking sun, whereas blend produced ugly yellow halos. Just an observation, not a criticism of the software.
Monaco sunrise.RW2.arp (11.4 KB)

Very nice and cheerful interpretation, @afre!
Totally different from my approach, but I suspect, closer to what have been the scene: an explosion of light and life.

Thanks for the compliment and music. This year I have been trying to follow retinex principles. Not easy to understand but fun to explore. I would get another bump in quality with dehaze; however, I am not motivated to resume the research. That said, it has been proven that they are closely related, so perhaps I am closer to an acceptable algorithm than I am aware.

1 Like

I’m not sure if I’d have liked it. I like the dim haze of your edit.

Haze removal is a broad topic. Think of it as clarity done right, not including proper de-blurring.

You’re too technical.
I’m more on the poetic mood :sunflower:

I keep seeing references to ART, but when I search for that I never get a result of development software. What is it?

https://bitbucket.org/agriggio/ART

P1100003.RW2.xmp (28.6 KB)

I struggled a bit with the sun and getting the hues packed into srgb but I’m fairly happy with the result now. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Underexposed Described in the link above. Definitely my favourite tool to use now.

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Nice shot, I love this place …

DT 3.0.1 using low pass filter for the “burned” sun zone

P1100003.RW2.xmp (4.1 KB)

1 Like