Sunset over Lavaux

Wonderful landscape, thanks for sharing
My question with sunsets is always how red was the sky? How can I come close to reality? I think one often tends to overdo things when post-processing images

DT 3.6.0
0V2A2112_01.DNG.xmp (9.0 KB)

3 Likes

Beautiful image of a sunrise or sunset. Thank you for sharing.
With RawTherapee 5.8-dev-3049
My process:

1. I darkened the background mountains with local adjustments because I didn’t like them.
  2. Used Gradient Filter module to lighten the bottom part.
  3. Used Lut Kodak Portra 400 NC 1-

20210916_0V2A2112.jpg.out.pp3 (19.8 KB)

Greetings.

It was quite red, there was a fine break in the clouds just above the mountains. This was the light just before the sun set. That said I think the more muted edits here are more realistic, some are a bit on the flamboyant side.

1 Like

Great shot!
My take with dt 3.7

0V2A2112.DNG.xmp (23.3 KB)

1 Like

very impressive :grinning:

ART

3 Likes

Very nice one, thanks! :slight_smile:

RT5.8 dev

0V2A2112.jpg.out.pp3 (25.2 KB)

5 Likes

Very nice sunset!
0V2A2112.DNG.xmp (11.7 KB)

dt 3.7

very pretty area, the landscapes there.

quick and completely overcooked vkdt edit:

spectral input profile, pushed saturation slightly past pain threshold, only moderate log-curve to compress dynamic range, and instead a guided-filter-hand-drawn mask for the foreground (burn) and one for the bright stripe of clouds on top (dodge), since this keeps local contrast more punchy and the separation ground/sky is pretty clear here.

0V2A2112.pfi (29.5 KB)

3 Likes

Fantastic picture, beautiful edit… Added a little bit of Dodge in gimp.
What colors… Are these grape vines?

4 Likes

Vin du Lavaux, cet or suisse: Vin du Lavaux, cet or suisse
Lavaux is located in the Riviera vaudoise just above Leman Lake on the north bank. Thus the slopes are ideally facing south.
In 2007, Unesco listed Lavaux, a “terraced vineyard facing the lake and the Alps”, as a World Heritage Site.

1 Like

0V2A2112.jpg.out.pp3 (12.9 KB)

Thanks for the photo - done with gimp. Where I live often the sunset affects the ground area as well as the sky.

Difficult one! I felt that the colors of the sunset were way too much. So I de-saturated and lowered the exposure (high DR) in the sky near the horizon. I did it in several steps because otherwise I got strange effects.
The exposure and saturation of vineyards is increased.
And the mountains in the back are darkened. But this created a very thin white line between the houses and trees on the one side and the dark mountains on the other side. How can this be avoided? I’m using DT 3.6.1.

2 Likes