Syncing Computers

I use 2 computers, in differing locations. I run Manjaro/Arch on both systems. I would like to keep both darktable systems in sync as I move back and forth between locations. Each computer has a differing drive arrangement, so the location of ‘Pictures’ differs.
Currently I use a common backup drive to maintain the latest data and then when I change locations (every 2 or 3 months) I simply dump the entire updated imagery and rebuild dt as needed … a painful experience.
I am looking for a better (much better) way of doing things.

Hi,

I see several options:

• keep the library on an external SSD that is mounted to the same path on both machines
  • sync images and sidecars with external drive and look for updated xmp art startup. If it is only every 3 months startup delays probably doesn’t matter. I actually use a simple rsync script for syncing.
  • make a softlink so that the path to images is the same
  • use SQL to modify the path in the database

Best regards
Till

Edit: Here some sqlite command I was using in the past:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/syncthing
This should work if they are on the same network. If not you can always use a middleman (like your phone) to sync things between locations (machine1 <-> phone <-> machine2) or setup a home vpn like wireguard if you’re apt at that kind of thing.

EDIT: Disregard my message, I misunderstood the issue.

1 Like

I use git-annex for this. Certainly not for everyone and you need to be git saavy. But it works extremely well.

1 Like

Many thanks for some great ideas for me to consider. All truly helpful
David

Have a look at darktable 4.2 user manual - local copies I think this can help.

Looks like a very simple solution. A few questions if you don’t mind.
I assume that this allows both new images and those existing (and modified) to be transferred in the same way.
I would then pull-off the “img” files from the laptop but how do I import them into the desktop … does the desktop know where they should go? Is it really that easy?