Testing section

Hello,

I would like to know (if it’s possible) why many filters in the testing section never did to the other “official” section, even though it’s many years they were updated and still work like a charm.

What does it need to these filters to become not any more “Test”?
Also, will those filters likely to be removed one day, or not?

I’m just trying to figure out what is really the testing section as I see a lot of excellent filters working nicely after so many years in this section.

thanks for reading

In my case, I simply let the maintainer decide. I would prefer to be asked though. Inactive filter developers should have their filters reviewed one by one.

1 Like

Just a note: I have created many filters on Gimpchat deliberately using Samj’s test filters. No severe problems so far, and very interesting possibilities.

1 Like

Testing is a catchall for filters but it doesn’t indicate the quality. Non-testing filters tend to be more official. E.g., there already exists a split_details. At one point, I implemented my own version (albeit under a different name) and placed it under Details. David moved it back to Testing (or rather, linked it back to Testing via stdlib). No problem, but I like clean code, so I changed my afre.gmic file to reflect that change.

Another thing is that David integrates our ideas and discussions into more official and often more refined or faster scripts. Kind of peeves me a bit but completely understandable for consistency and effectiveness. Those filters will have precedence over “Testing” and community filters.

My current approach is that I don’t care too much where my filters land. However, I do prefer them to be outside of testing if

1. Someone tells me a particular filter is useful to them.
  2. I make a filter for someone to use based on their requirements.

In these cases, the filter should have prominence since there is an actual use case. Unfortunately, I don’t get much feedback on my filters. Maybe I have once or twice but forgot to bring them outside of Testing. Anyway, it isn’t a big deal since we have the search function in the plugin.

1 Like

Me either. I just have to test it throughly, and continue to make adjustments where I can.

1 Like

And that is why they ought to be in Testing. Also, @Reptorian and I tend to be prolific editors. We change our commands/filters all the time, so it would be inappropriate and confusing for them to be in the “stable” categories.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for you detailed inputs, I very much appreciated.

Have an absolute fantastic day!