The Big Bad G'MIC Thread of Silly Questions

Hi,

is there any way to make flower (or transform_polar) behave more erraticaly (without bursting the maths)? I find it a bit too regular here (pupil), i want to have some long spikes here and there, irreglarly.
Or maybe i should draw some (very) thin ellipses here and there to break the monotony?

1 Like

Don’t be afraid of it. It can be very powerful. I think a layered existing distortion filter could help you.

I just don’t want to use something I can’t understand…

deform?

But that is where all the wonder lies…

Flammarion Engraving

1 Like

I actually love old engravings (Dürer,Doré, Piranesi…), drawings, prints and maps, and it’s something i’d like to do with G’mic. One day. Probably not today :melting_face:

Will remind me of the good old days of Fighting Fantasy.

1 Like

The interesting thing about Flammarion’s engraving is that it is not that old. Earliest known version is 1888…

That said, it still conveys the feeling of wonder for me, thinking through most of my life that it precedes the Age of Enlightenment, and conveys much of its mood.

And tt’s indeed wonderful to look at, but I can’t seem to find the maths unraveling beyond the curtain.
I’d probably forget about it the next day anyway.

So as not to steal your thread with too many entertaining asides, back to the gist of your question: whenever I find myself beset with the problem of visual monotony, I turn to noise (of course) but typically at some steps removed, by means of some intervening processes. One of my favorite choices is making noise “in the frequency domain” and then bringing it “into the spatial domain” by way of the inverse Fourier transform (ifft). That becomes a never-ending source of quasi-periodic variables — not raw noise, but not monotonously periodic either. Here is an example from “TV on the Fritz”, subject of post #149 in Tutorial Fragments the other day.

# Make spectral noiseball around specspace origin
   $pw,$pw,$pw,2,u(-1,1)
   -name. noiseball
   -resize[noiseball] {$aw},{$ah},{$ad},{s},0

# Make spectral noiseball multiplier ellipse
   -input {w#$noiseball},{h#$noiseball},{d#$noiseball},1
   -name. gaussball
   _mkclip[gaussball] $pw,$ecent,$ang 
   -shift[noiseball] {-$pw/2},{-$pw/2},{-$pw/2},0,2,0
   -shift[gaussball] {-w/2},{-h/2},{-d/2},0,2,0
   -set[gaussball] 0,0,0,0,0
   -normalize[gaussball] 0,1
   -mul[noiseball,gaussball]

# Take spectral noise to spatial space
   -split[noiseball] c
   -ifft[-2,-1]
   -append[-2,-1] c
   -orientation[noiseball] # Unscaled warping image...

That is (1) make a tiny bit of 2-channel noise in the center of an otherwise black image, (2) split, ifft[-2,-1] append[-2,-1] transforming spectral noise into a bunch of overlapping sine waves that interact in interesting ways. (3) scale (normalize`) as you see fit to fit your larger scheme. (3a) converting (extracting) the directional information from these quasi-periodic images also furnishes a useful result. In this excerpt, the “noiseball” image furnishes the quasi-periodic output that you may harness as arguments to some follow-on process that you would like to make less monotonous. Perhaps (as an example) varying the semi-major and semi-minor axes of ellipses.

Have fun!

@grosgood THanks, I haven’t tried your example yet, But i’ll be sure to give it a chance!

For now it looks ok:

3 Likes

Today my cat died, and i completely went astray again with “Little Boxy Things” :

Just the result of small operations going overboard.

2 Likes

I don’t want to derail the topic.

I’m sorry for your loss, I lost a pet before. My brother has a cat, and she’s wonderful to be around with.

Not sure there is a main topic here though.
Just found out you can still find old pictures of my cat on the web, when she was only 2 months old (she was 3 when i got her) :open_mouth:

Thanks. It’s the 4th one for me, not counting my parents’…

Being compassionate is not off-topic.

1 Like

You have my deepest sympathy. I also lost my cat this year, it’s always difficult, especially for children.

And let me say also that your experiments are very interesting, I’m particularly fan of the 3rd and 4th images you’ve shown in your post.

Sorry for your loss, prawnsushi. My boy (cat) is over 16 himself and I think about this often too.

Sorr foy your loss, too. And yeah it hits hard, considering that i lost another one in 21, along with 2 other people in my family. But life goes on i guess? G’mic helps me thinking about something else.

Well, they all come from the same pipeline, just different values. You can guess how I did this, it’s very simple! I already made the GUI version. I’m just a bit annoyed by the black bars (left and bottom) on the 1st and 2nd images, and i’m trying to find a way to prevent their creation.

@lylejk Thank you. Mine was only 11, the previous one was almost 7. All my cats never had any problem until they are diagnosed with some terminal disease and die. We are never prepared enough. Jusr keep on playing with your old boy :slight_smile:

I think I managed to fix that now with a quick trick.

gmic run ' sp monalisa,1000 repeat 100 { +pr_lilboxy $<,$<,$>,2,2,{$>/2},0,0,0,255 w. if $><95 rm. else rm.. break fi } d'

2 Likes

Someone’s been playing with polygon tonight (and a circle and maybe a few rotates)…

This last one looks like some kind of game level…?

Is there any way to fill a polygon with multiple colors (like triangle_shade?

1 Like

You can make polygon onto a image with equal size of the spectrum of a image. You can use the value of each channel and utilize the fill math parsing thing to make multiple colors. That’s where all the magic lies in.