The darktable magicians have crafted something again - detail mask

In my opinion this should be a different discussion (a new topic). Just my 2 cents…

6 Likes

Sorry for the noise (SCNR) :crazy_face:.

2 Likes

No need to apologize. Hijacking threads by accident also happened to me sometimes :wink:

I think I mentioned this two years ago in Saarbrücken, didn’t I? I am just irritated that Hanno apparently joined this forum a few days after that. Funny coincidence. I wasn’t quite aware though how powerful this really is.

2 Likes

The power of german open source contributors :wink:

9 Likes

But … there appears to be a problem … there is some sort of conflict when exporting images to a jpg either on disk or email.
I am running the daily git/Manjaro/Arch/XFCE
First indications were that my system locked-up and/or crashed

This is the typical problem but on one occasion the lower part of the image was filled with stripes.
All works really well … tested with several modules … just the export situation.

But … there appears to be a problem …

Hmm, can’t reproduce right now. Could you please open a darktable issue at GitHub - darktable-org/darktable: darktable is an open source photography workflow application and raw developer providing both the raw file and your xmp file please? Also some precise steps to reproduce? And system ram, opencl, graphics card please?

Please note there have been some other fixes lately that might lead to such crashes notably there was a problem with rcd/orientation/opencl …

1 Like

May I proudly amend, that even against some wind, I pushed this thru via this issue :slight_smile:
[FEATURE] parametric mask by edge detection · Issue #7628 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

5 Likes

I just built from github source, on Mint linux, a few minutes ago. I don’t see any new mask options. What am I missing?

Is this new detail mask not pushed to the master branch yet?

It takes the form of a new “slider” in the “mask refinement” option.

For example, go to Local Contrast module, and click the “drawn mask” button - then the new slider called “details threshold” appears just below “mask refinement”

1 Like

Oops. Sorry. I’m blind. This looks very interesting.

Nice level of refinement for sure. You can slide it without specifying a mask just to see it on the whole image and then of course the real power is to use it with a mask of course…

Currently I have filed a report due to an apparent problem with this function that is seen when exporting images to disk and email. Please be careful.

Thanks for warning but I have not had such problems so far.

I do not know if the problem is related to a specific module(s) or the use of this operator being used with multiple modules.
Initial problems surfaced with export images jpg images being mangled but later dt itself became inoperable.

This is an incredible filter/mask …

No issue on Windows

@davidvj Could you link the report for the forum’s reference?

Will do AM

For reference - te bug is Details Threshold creates Export Failure · Issue #8900 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub and the PR fixing it is Bugfix: details mask tiling by jenshannoschwalm · Pull Request #8904 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub :slight_smile: