The problem with no releases....

@patdavid @afre, and others @Andy_Astbury1

Differences between the current versions which seem stable and 5.8

Of course, there is no order of values between these new features, I have classified them from memory…

Capture sharpening: acts upstream of the “sharpen” processes and allows to discriminate the action according to the structure of the image

Color Management :

• Abstract profile: allows custom image effects
  • White balance : new module “auto” based on “temperature correlation”.

Film Negative

Highlight reconstruction : improvement of the “color propagation” module

Wavelet : many improvements in particular for a better management of the local contrast and the noise.

CIE Color appearance : CAM16 taken into account in addition to CAM02

Local adjustements :

• a Spot of adjustable size, delimits the maximum action area, where modifications are possible
  • takes into account color differences to delimit the areas to be treated (flowers, trees, face, etc.), also allows to adjust transitions
  • can work in “Full image” mode
  • allows several approaches “Basic”, “Normal”, “Advanced”.
  • with or without masks according to the above choice
  • etc.
  • Contains different modules, often similar in title to those of “main”, but with important differences:
  • Color and Light, Shadows Highlight & Tone Equalizer, Vibrance & Warm-cool, Log encoding, Color apperance (Cam16 & JzCzHz), Dynamic Range & Exposure, Common color mask, Soft light & Original retinex, Blur/grain & Denoise, Tone mapping, Dehaze & Retinex, Sharpening, Local Contrast & Wavelet, Contrast by detail levels

Of course many bugs solved and new cameras taken into account, but the new versions obviously contain bugs (known or not)

Documentation :

• Rawpedia update
  • Many videos, especially from Andy Atsbury
  • translation (in progress) in different languages, when possible, of titles, sliders, curves, methods, etc. and associated tooltips, at the user interface level.
  • etc.

Of course, each developer or contributor, or user can bring complements, precisions, and describe what I forgot…and improve my bad English.

jacques

7 Likes

An addition and a small error correction:

• Spot Removal was added in 5.9

It is Andy Astbury instead of Andy Atsbury

(The other) Jacques.

1 Like

Don’t forget this post: WIP Release notes (v5.9) · Discussion #6331 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub
Everyone with GitHub repo access can edit it I think.

3 Likes

Hello all
I think that with the additions of @Jade_NL and @Thanatomanic , we have an overview of the situation, without omissions :slight_smile:

If I understood correctly the intention (my english is bad) is to announce on the web page, what needs to be communicated to a wide audience (what is new ) , so we must be concise and educational.

Of course, when 5.9 will be released it will be necessary to put the detail of the changes.

jacques

1 Like

So should we draft a message for the website outlining the overview and announce something about a rolling release? Or would it be a 5.9?

From what I am gathering: an overview of the changes since 5.8 for general consumption and perhaps a link to https://github.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee/releases/tag/nightly-github-actions to show the progress.

Capture sharpening was introduced for 5.8.

The next release is 5.9. After that, the release strategy is undecided.

The question is how imminent is 5.9? Should we hold off with new communications until 5.9?

I thought a release was imminent for several months now. Obviously I was wrong. Even if it seems like there will be a release soon, I think it is still a good idea to publish an update on the website because there is no guarantee when 5.9 will come out.

5 Likes

Pat, if I get a vote as an end user and not a developer, any communication on the website would be a positive step forward. I would hate to see potential users quickly reject RT in favor of something else simply because it looked like the project was no long in development. One could reasonably make that conclusion just by glancing at the top part of the RT front page. Also, if we can make a link to there of the development releases, that might also be a help. I’m starting to use the dev version more and more and am not finding any problems with it at all. And the new features are welcome additions to my RAW editing toolbox.

4 Likes

Yeah something like “We’re working on a release but there have been resource constraints and changes to the team so the process is still being re-figured-out”

Again apologies for not finishing up my own part in this in a timely manner… I periodically drop in here while sitting waiting for a compile job to finish at work, but usually when I get home from work lately I’ve been very fried.

2 Likes

I’m off work mostly this coming week so I’ll craft something and post it here to check my facts. Sorry for the delay.

We could also do with some more frequent posting schedules if we’d like to figure something out for that as well (can be technical, tutorials, tips, video links, etc).

4 Likes

There are two great FOOS programs for RAW. Darktable and RT. Both have great features. Would it be possible to blend, combine or fork these two programs together. I realise that depends upon the generosity and motivation of the developers of these programs to see value in this suggestion. Maybe it is technically not possible or of any value to implement a merge of the programs.

Projects here do share notes due to friendliness and the open-source spirit, but combining feature-complete software in an intimate manner is not conducive to new developments. We can see that in the commercial world where more competition is almost always a good thing.

1 Like

Partial profiles seem to be buggy in general right now. I can’t seem to paste a partial profile that only consists of one tool (e.g. RGB curves or crop) without undoing all changes in the other tools. They all seem to switch back to neutral.

Of course that could be done, but the result will be something new and completely different.
but until now no one started actions on this so it’s facing the same issue: you need devs to do this.
There’s no lack of suggestions, there’s a lack on the doing side

I agree that it is easy for me to suggest and to expect others to just implement what is suggested. I wish I had the ability to code and actually contribute and not just suggest. Darktable and Rawtherapee are two great programs and I hope they both continue to get the support of generous developers and maintainers to keep these programs free to use.

Uli,
Have you considered the processing profile button?

https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Sidecar_Files_-_Processing_Profiles#Partial_Processing_Profiles_and_Fill_Modes

1 Like

Hello

First of all, please excuse my bad English, moreover my health is very degraded (that’s a euphemism) and I will soon be 75 years old…

First of all I am a total autodidact, I never learned C++ or any other language, except for the rudiments of Fortan IV in 1970 in engineering school, I never needed to program throughout my career and it is in retirement that I set myself a challenge…

To come to “LA” and all the questions in this post, or elsewhere, why no layers, for no “clipping a la carte”, why no mask at the origin 2014… It is that there was no need. I got into photography in 2006 with a D200 and I found Capture NX2 and its U-points, I found the concept interesting and my idea was to do something similar, but in my way. that’s when I got the idea of the deltaE and the transitions.

Generally speaking, whether it’s for “LA” or other RT modules that I initiated, I didn’t copy on anything (or very few), when I do I quote the author, for example IPOL for “original Retinex” and the use of Laplacian, or some algorithms taken from ART to Alberto Griggio @agriggio , etc.

Moreover my code is very bad, fortunately there were corrections, improvements, optimizations brought by Ingo @heckflosse , @floessie , Lawrence37 and others…I would also like to thank all those who helped to test and improve different modules, especially @Wayne_Sutton , @Jade_NL , @XavAL , Sébastien @sguyader , Andy’s videos @Andy_Astbury1 ,paul matthisse , @arturoisilvia and others whose contribution I do not forget (excuse me, but it’s been now up to 10 years for some modules - Ciecam, wavelet, etc.)

Fortunately I had from 2018 or so, the skills of Pierre @Pandagrapher who improved things noticeably at the GUI level.

The various modules of LA were created, as the needs and my intuition. I pass you the not very pleasant remarks (it is still an euphemism) of some on “LA”, it was really necessary to believe in it to continue.

To continue the support, which I had at the beginning (which would have allowed shapes other than ellipses, and rectangle) left RT for another project, so I found myself without real GUI help especially for the rotation of shapes, polygons … and this is not limited to a GUI problem (the most difficult is the code for LA that follows).

To come to the masks, that I was asked to add (I think) in 2018, I was inspired by a module made by Alberto at the time the 3 curves L,C,H, everything else is my invention …

As for the layers, it may be a question of semantics, but each Rt-spot is the equivalent of a layer (the assimilation stops there) and you can stack as many as you want.

Of course for those who are used to Photoshop and Darktable, it’s another world…but it works sometimes less well or better.

Of course everything could be better, of course if there were no ego conflicts, of course if we could release 5.9 (imagine since 2015, the volume of work and code), everything would be better.
For my part I do not attach any importance to the work I have done, you can improve it, change it, as much as you want. If someone wants to improve this or that part, he is free to do so… (beware of the many interactions)

But in summary Rawtherapee is a very good product, at least equal to others, which currently suffers from a problem of publication (5.9) and communication, which gives it a bad reputation in the media.

When it comes to merging Darktable and Rawtherapee projects, it is a pure utopia, for various reasons…

Thanks for reading.

See also, for others reasons

Use Local Adjustment without multiple “Excluding Spots” when fine tuning local edits

SoftwareRawTherapee

jacques

14 Likes