The Quest for Good Color - 1. Spectral Sensitivity Functions (SSFs) and Camera Profiles

@ggbutcher , great post, I think I pretty much follow what you said, though not some of the follow-up posts which are def. beyond me!

Perhaps you’ve heard of Bill Claff, if not he does a lot of measurement, frequently posts in DPReview forums and has a site - https://www.photonstophotos.net/
I just had a quick skim but no obvious spectral data except for this -
Spectral Response of Bayer and X3

Looking forward to part 2!

How about this? It’s pretty cheap compared to others.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000329457996.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.3b084c4elLb0dJ&algo_pvid=181b9e47-ce43-4e7d-8c30-dca3efca2445&algo_expid=181b9e47-ce43-4e7d-8c30-dca3efca2445-8&btsid=0b0a01f816090858158561470eefdd&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

1 Like

Yes indeed, much better…

I just captured Nikon D5600 spectra from my son’s new camera, do enjoy the simplicity of two images vs dozens required for a monochromator campaign, but the lure of “lab-grade” still haunts… :laughing:

1 Like

I’d like to make my own setup one day. I own the spectrometer already, but I don’t know if it can be used for anything besides monitor calibration (software wise).

A spectrometer is probably my next major purchase. Thinking about its uses, in addition to monitor calibration:

• Re-measure an old ColorChecker to update the calibration data
  • Make one’s own charts for specific colorations
  • Measure light spectra; IMHO more important lately with all the LED mixtures being promoted as “white”…
1 Like

I have X-rite i1Studio spectrometer but it seems to have an integrated UV cut filter as per ArgyllCMS website, altho argyll does not see my spectrometer as i1Studio but as ColorMunki it still warns me about the UV filter and doesn’t let me measure paper. I’m trying to find the specs for mine as it’s the newest version.

Edit: damn, it has uv cut filter :cry: https://xritephoto.com/i1Studio

Yes the hardware for the Munki and the i1Studio is supposedly the same, just a re-brand. They both have UV cut filters but they measure down to 400nm every 10/3nm and most camera SSFs let through very little if any signal there. I am not sure what you mean about not allowing the measurement of paper: forget about X-rite software, set it to reflective mode (down) and use Argyll Spotread or similar. This is ambient mode (up, where it goes through a diffuser) on a gray afternoon:

2700K Led:

1 Like

For SSF workflow, a spectrometer is used to measure spectral power distribution of the light source. If I’m able to get decent (~2.9 max DE on CC24 training data) power-adjusted SSF data using a measurement from a comparable light source, IMHO extrapolating the lower 20nm from the i1Studio measurement shouldn’t be debilitating, unless you’re extremely interested in extreme blue performance…

1 Like

Don’t modern lenses have coating that block most UV anyway?

I’d venture a guess that this is highly likely. And I’d still call 380nm not really UV, it’s the border to UV-A (380-315nm).

Aren’t we all these days?! :smile_cat:

1 Like

…One Profile To Rule Them All… my precious… :flushed:

2 Likes

This:
" !!! Instrument has UV filter - can’t measure FWA !!!" warning

$ illumread -H ikea_led_bulb.sp

Press 1 .. 7
1) Measure direct illuminant
2) Measure illuminant reflected from paper
3) Measure paper
4) Select another instrument, Currently 1 ( '/dev/bus/usb/001/006 (X-Rite ColorMunki)')
5) Compute illuminant spectrum, average result with 0 previous readings & save it
6) Compute illuminant spectrum from this reading & save result
7) Exit
'1'

Instrument needs a calibration before continuing

Set instrument sensor to calibration position,
 and then hit any key to continue,
 or hit Esc or Q to abort: 
Calibration complete

(If applicable) set instrument to ambient measurenent mode, or place
ambient adapter on it, and position it so as to measure the illuminant directly.
Hit ESC or Q to abort, or instrument switch or any other key to take a reading: 

Press 1 .. 7
1) Measure direct illuminant (measured)
3) Measure paper
4) Select another instrument, Currently X-Rite ColorMunki
5) Compute illuminant spectrum, average result with 0 previous readings & save it
7) Exit
'6'
Need to measure the illuminant reflected off paper

Press 1 .. 7
3) Measure paper
7) Exit
'2'

(If applicable) set instrument to telephoto measurenent mode,
position it so as to measure the illuminant reflected from the paper.

Illuminant measure failed due to the sensor being in the wrong position
(Sensor should be in projector position)

Press 1 .. 7
3) Measure paper
7) Exit
'2'

(If applicable) set instrument to telephoto measurenent mode,
position it so as to measure the illuminant reflected from the paper.

Press 1 .. 7
2) Measure illuminant reflected from paper (measured)
3) Measure paper
7) Exit
'3'
!!! Instrument has UV filter - can't measure FWA !!!

Press 1 .. 7
3) Measure paper
7) Exit
'3'
!!! Instrument has UV filter - can't measure FWA !!!

Press 1 .. 7
3) Measure paper
7) Exit
'6'
Need to measure the paper

Press 1 .. 7
3) Measure paper
7) Exit

Unless I am missing something Illumread is for measuring illuminants. Spotread is for measuring reflective stuff.