Thumbnails not displaying (link to file broken?)

Hi, I’m new to digiKam and am using it to connect with my with Synology NAS. I set up a Network Shared connection to one of my photo folders on the NAS. Initially it seemed to work fine, showing thumbnails and opening the preview when double-clicked.

Today however, when I open digiKam none of the thumbnails show (they just show grey boxes where images should be) and if I double-click on a thumbnail/box it just opens a white screen.

Any ideas what might have happened?

I did remove my local folder from the collection (when I first started digikam it said I needed a local one first - this is an empty folder i created for the purpose - I assumed I could remove it later)… could this be the problem? I reinstated it and restarted but this didn’t seem to change anything.

I also ran maintenance and checked the rebuild thumbnail option and clicked ok… nothing seemed to happen (there aren’t many photos so maybe it ran very quickly?). I’ve restarted it again with no change.

I’m running the digikam 7.6.0 on a Macbook Pro running Monterey v12.0.1.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Debug output in a terminal would help isolate the problem. How to create the output under MacOS is described here:

Sorry for the late reply - was travelling without my computer.

I’ve done that but it is too much text to add here and can’t upload for some reason. I did note that:

dbus[2102]: Dynamic session lookup supported but failed: launchd did not provide a socket path, verify that org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist is loaded!

How do I load this session? Is it a setting in Digikam itself or something I am doing wrong?

digikam.general: Ignoring specific Showfoto plugin in digiKam “/Applications/digiKam.org/digikam.app/Contents/libexec/qt5/plugins/digikam/generic/Generic_DNGConverter_Plugin.so”
QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout “” to Cathaysia::PlugSettings “FlowPlugSettings”, which already has a layout
QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout “” to Cathaysia::PlugSettings “FlowPlugSettings”, which already has a layout

also this:

kf.xmlgui: Unhandled container to remove : Digikam::DigikamApp

and this:

digikam.databaseserver: Running 30 seconds…
digikam.databaseserver: Running 60 seconds…
digikam.databaseserver: Running 90 seconds…
digikam.databaseserver: Running 120 seconds…
digikam.databaseserver: Running 150 seconds…
digikam.databaseserver: Running 180 seconds…
digikam.databaseserver: Running 210 seconds…
digikam.general: Testing “mysql_install_db” …
digikam.general: Testing “mysqladmin” …
digikam.general: Testing “mysqld” …
digikam.general: Testing “mysql_install_db” …
digikam.general: Testing “mysqladmin” …
digikam.general: Testing “mysqld” …
digikam.general: Testing “/opt/local/bin/mysql_install_db” …
digikam.general: All Binaries Found : false
digikam.general: Testing “/opt/local/bin/mysqladmin” …
digikam.general: Testing “/opt/local/bin/mysqld” …
digikam.general: Testing “/opt/local/sbin/mysql_install_db” …
digikam.general: Testing “/opt/local/sbin/mysqladmin” …
digikam.general: Testing “/opt/local/sbin/mysqld” …
digikam.general: Testing “/opt/local/lib/mariadb/bin/mysql_install_db” …
digikam.general: Testing “/opt/local/lib/mariadb/bin/mysqladmin” …
digikam.general: Testing “/opt/local/lib/mariadb/bin/mysqld” …
digikam.general: Testing “/Applications/digiKam.org/digikam.app/Contents/lib/mariadb/bin/mysql_install_db” …
digikam.general: Found “/Applications/digiKam.org/digikam.app/Contents/lib/mariadb/bin/mysql_install_db”
digikam.general: Testing “/Applications/digiKam.org/digikam.app/Contents/lib/mariadb/bin/mysqladmin” …
digikam.general: Found “/Applications/digiKam.org/digikam.app/Contents/lib/mariadb/bin/mysqladmin”
digikam.general: Testing “/Applications/digiKam.org/digikam.app/Contents/lib/mariadb/bin/mysqld” …
digikam.general: Found “/Applications/digiKam.org/digikam.app/Contents/lib/mariadb/bin/mysqld”
digikam.general: All Binaries Found : true
digikam.general: Testing “/Applications/digiKam.org/digikam.app/Contents/lib/mariadb/bin/mysqladmin/mysqladmin” …
digikam.general: Testing “/Applications/digiKam.org/digikam.app/Contents/lib/mariadb/bin/mysql_install_db/mysql_install_db” …
digikam.general: Testing “/Applications/digiKam.org/digikam.app/Contents/lib/mariadb/bin/mysqld/mysqld” …
digikam.general: Testing “exiftool” …
digikam.general: Testing “/usr/local/bin/exiftool” …
digikam.general: Testing “/Applications/digiKam.org/digikam.app/Contents/bin/exiftool” …
digikam.general: Testing “/opt/local/bin/exiftool” …
digikam.general: Testing “/usr/bin/exiftool” …
digikam.general: Testing “/usr/local/bin/exiftool” …
digikam.general: Testing “/bin/exiftool” …

I’m not sure if any of that is a problem. Note, there wasn’t a current connection to the NAS on this computer when I ran the debug… but that wasn’t the issue the other day so the thumbnails not showing is a seperate issue.

Also I note there doesn’t seem to be any files in the database path that I selected (whereas I believe there should be 3 files there).

Thanks so much for any help.

Hi Richard,

I am having the same problem (Digikam 7.6.0 on Windows). Did you manage to solve this issue?

Thanks!

Brian, unfortunately not yet. What I ended up having to do was install Linux on my spare laptop and run Digikam under that. So far no problems.

If you find an actual solution however, please post back here as I would also be very interested.