Underexposed sun rays scene

Great image. I always love when the cloud open little windows. Mornings are always fun.
I did not want to pull too much light in the house - there is blue/purple sections in the house which to me start becoming strange when trying to lighten the house too much. This is my first ever take in play_raw. Always wanted to do this but never had courage enough to post my edits - there is first for everything :smiley:

DSCF0185.jpg.out.pp3 (16.3 KB)
RT 5.8-2652-g1bd22668f

1 Like

DSCF0185.RAF.xmp (11.2 KB)

1 Like

DSCF0185.RAF.xmp (13.0 KB) DSCF0185_01.RAF.xmp (13.4 KB)

1 Like

DSCF0185.RAF.xmp (19.4 KB)

1 Like

I thought I’d play with the color calibration module, as it’s there. I haven’t the foggiest how it’s supposed to be used though :slight_smile:.

DSCF0185.RAF.xmp (15.9 KB)

And a black & white version. Tried to keep the highlights in check.

DSCF0185_01.RAF.xmp (15.1 KB)

A dark, moody edit :slight_smile:

darktable-git: DSCF0185.RAF.xmp (15.8 KB)

2 Likes

DSCF0185-1.jpg.out.pp3 (13,8 KB)

1 Like

I like the monochrome edits, almost did one myself, but decided to try another trick. In rawproc:

Instead of a filmic curve, I applied a loggamma curve to lift all the shadows into the mid part of the histogram, then applied a S-shaped control curve to better control the shadow gradient with control points. Also, since there is very little “color” in the image, i applied my dorky HSL saturation tool and amped the multiplier to 2.0. Not natural color, but pleasing to me…

Edit: The danger with the control point curve is that one can play with it to one’s demise… In using this image to debug my x_trans mosaic selection; I decided to drag the low-left control point to the right a bit to crush the lowest blacks, and in doing so I got better low-end contrast:

3 Likes

As the dynamic range was truly extreme here, I output two different exposures using Filmulator and blended them manually in GIMP, taking care to maintain the contrast of the sunbeams.

This is my first time doing it and I’m using a mouse so the blending might be a bit lumpy…

5 Likes

dt 3.4 DSCF0185.RAF.xmp (12.5 KB)

1 Like

Some color scratching in Art…

DSCF0185.art.jpg.out.arp (12.8 KB)

Thank you everyone for these lovely edits!

beautiful scenery

my idea

Underexposed sun rays scene_DSCF0185.RAF.xmp (13.9 KB)

the blue in the house could be reduced …

4 Likes

1 Like

My try :

DSCF0185.RAF.xmp (10.4 KB)

Gorgeous dramatic sky, great shot, my thoughts was to keep the ground dark enough to contrast the sky, trying to achieve a dramatic but natural look;

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks for posting,
Using Filmulator v0.11 for the first time for the highlights

My take, DT 3.5 git master

DSCF0185.RAF.xmp (15.2 KB)

Is it unusual / unexpected that the illuminant in color calibration which makes this scene look realistic is so far off from Planckian or daylight? Usually I can set the illuminant to Planckian or daylight and manually adjust the temperature to get something reasonable looking but that doesn’t seem to work well here.

DSCF0185.RAF.xmp (33,5 KB)

1 Like