Urban still life

Open GIMP plugins WIC further GIMP-LAB

1 Like

My effort…nothing really creative…darktable

Interesting motif!

My edit is not realistic, as I again played with color contrasts to better separate foreground and background objects and get a bit more rough look. This gives the photo a little more three-dimensionality:

urban.still.life_08.nef.xmp (33,3 KB)

darktable 3.5.0~git2610.8574779c77-1

3 Likes

Very nice!

There are some nice overall touches (as usual), but I especially like what the tone equalizer 1 and colour calibration 1 modules do to the image.

Is removing the red from the no smoking sign intentional? Either way I like the effect, the red is somewhat of an unwanted eye catcher.

An attention point would be: Turn on defringe (have a look at the spokes).

This one is worth analyzing, especially when you are a darktable user!

1 Like

No, I forgot to mask it. :upside_down_face:

Very well observed! I screwed that up too. Normally the lens correction module does it, but your lens is not supported by lensfun.

Corrected version:

urban.still.life_08.nef.xmp (39,6 KB)

1 Like

There’s something fishy going on at the moment with lensfun and Nikon’s Z series cameras in combination with F mount lenses. The lens is supported but isn’t picked up when using a Z6(II) (probably Z5/7 as well) body.

I see the same unwanted behaviour when using my other primes and zoom lenses. Only a generic length is picked up. This does not happen when I use these lenses with my D750.

I created a set of auto applied presets to fix it this way for the time being.

EDIT: This is also happens in RawTherapee.

Although this is a useful thing, in principle I find lensfun to be a shaky deal. Rawtherapee at least has the possibility to do the correction manually, which is a very big plus. In darktable this is only possible to a limited extent. Manual lens correction is one function I strongly miss in darktable.

1 Like

The new chromatic aberration module has some interesting effects too in addition to correcting the aberrations if you use the blue channel as the guide I find it actually seems to perceptually sharpen the image in many cases

I noticed that one a while back. Haven’t played with it to be honest, spending most of my time using RawTherapee,with darktable on the back burner.

I’ll really have to put in some time/effort to have a more in-depth look at what it can do one of these days.

I’m like the reverse from you mostly in DT but coming back to RT or ART from time to time. RT is a great program but man …so so…many options

My Z 6 doesn’t seem to report my AF-P 70-300mm either. libraw has gotten better about lens nomeclature, but it’s apparently not finding what it needs to report the F mount lenses.

I’d be curious to see what Lightroom has; if it can figure out the mounted lens from the available metadata, then it’s in there somewhere…

What I find rather curious is that if I put any of my Nikkor lenses on my D750 these combos are recognized. Both the Info button and the Profiled Lens Correction (auto) in RT show, for example:

• Nikon D750 + AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED

If I put the same lens on my Z6 II the info button shows this:

• Nikon Z 6_2 + AF 105mm F/2.8

and the Profiled Lens Correction (auto) shows this:

• <no camera shown> + Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2.8D

@Thanatomanic : Is this known?

EDIT:

I’ve had a good time playing with this!

urban.still.life.nef.xmp (17.7 KB)
dt 3.7.0

Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

First time posting here :slight_smile:
Thanks for sharing!

urban.still.life.nef.xmp (20.8 KB)
dt 3.7

4 Likes

Welcome to pixls!

One small pointer: Downscale your edits a bit. Full size uploads are rather big and some of us that use mobiles have data limits :grin:

Thank you! I have been watching various conversations for a while now so a big thanks to teh community for posting guides and raw files for other people to understand and play with :slight_smile:

2nd edit with more life added to the wall and another with more color added to the items in front of the wall.

@Jade_NL Use jpg for this one for the mobile data users!!

Any comments welcome :slight_smile:

urban.still.life.nef.xmp (25.2 KB)

1 Like

Yeah, jpeg is commonly used here and most also resize to +/- 2048 (longest side) or something similar. That last bit depends a bit on what needs to be brought across though (or what needs to be hidden :sweat_smile:).

urban.still.life.nef.xmp (15.5 KB)
Simply worked a bit in color.
dt 3.7.0 beta.

2 Likes

urban.still.life.nef.pp3 (15.4 KB)