Very confused with color management and profiles

And if you compare with the raw file and the sidecar file? Are they close?
IMG_6048.zip (36.2 MB)

Iā€™ll have a look when I canā€¦#3 Grandbaby is on the way and Iā€™m off to make a food run to the hospitalā€¦

2 Likes

So Peter would you like me to export on my system and compare them??

I have Littlecms enabled and use perceptual rendering. Apparently it can be slower but is more accurate??

I canā€™t say. I donā€™t need DT to be faster for me so I enable it.

It is my understanding that rendering intents only work if LittleCMS is enabled so I doā€¦

Donā€™t take my word for itā€¦

I tried last night and the strangest thing I could not export that raw file and xmpā€¦The export would never completeā€¦.I will try something tonight to see if I can make it goā€¦

Please do, or you can compare the jpeg vs the one you see in darktable darkroom with sRGB soft proof.

For me I think some of it is filmicā€¦both the norm and the midtone boost create out of gamut colors and I think when they are mapped to sRGB you are getting the extra saturation perhapsā€¦try to adjust your edit so you have no out of gamut areas and see if it maps to a better matchā€¦The mid tone boost in filmic to zero removed itā€¦I have to run so I canā€™t check the exportā€¦will report later

Have checked with some more devices, (iPhones and at work). Doesnā€™t seem as bad as it did with my calibrated screen and non colour managed Shotwell.

Peter sorry not to get back to you ā€¦from a very quick check I did notice that opening your raw and exporting to jpg on my hardware produced a jpg that was darker in some area but overall when viewed back in DT, not too bad though. I sadly donā€™t have a calibrated monitor at the moment. Holding out for new HDR monitor as the technology evolves and thus the appropriate calibration built in or otherwise.
If you find it extreme as you say it may be the non color managed software and or a nuance of your calibrationā€¦Sorry I could not be of more helpā€¦

1 Like