Visible detail and micro contrast deterioration after performing image fine rotation

Sure,thank you. Iā€™m going to place the samples in the attachments. These are screenshots taken either saved jpegs or over RT working screen.
Please note, that the image quality didnā€™t change at all after performing ā€œFlip horizontallyā€.

ā€œthat you will always see some degradation when you do a slight angular adjustmentā€
-why, then any preset angle change (90 deg left or right, or Flop vertically or Flop horizontally doesnā€™t seem to affect the image quality at all ?
Iā€™m not printing these images yet (or maybe ever), but an image quality in macro is very important . If the depth of field is a millimetre or so, any deterioration in sharpness renders such an image useless.

ā€œflip horizontalā€ is just a relocation of the unmodified pixels from one side of the image rectangle to the other. Itā€™s when you do an angular rotation that an interpolation is required that changes the pixels.

3 Likes

Well, what do we learn out of this? In a macro donā€™t modify angles. Iā€™m pretty sure, nobody will realize that you didnā€™t do it ā€¦

2 Likes

For any non-trivial rotations (i.e. anything else than multiples of 90Ā°), the pixel values have to be interpolated. This will always introduce artifacts or unsharpness.

2 Likes

Is it the same in case of 90 deg flop? Because even in this case the grasshopper is still doing fine.
Only the gradual angle change affects it badly.

1 Like

Rotations in multiples of 90Ā° wonā€™t have the problem because they can be performed by swapping pixels

1 Like

Yes, itā€™s the angles between the major orientations (90, 180, 270, vertical/horizontal reversing) that introduce the need to interpolate the pixels to their new locations.

Your first screenshot does not look like a 100% preview. Preview for less than 100% often is less sharp then preview at 100%

Unfortunately, wildlife rarely complies with photographerā€™s requirementsā€¦

Yes, I probably took the first screenshot over smaller enlargement. But it doesnā€™t mean that at 100% it looks better;on contrary it looks worse under greater magnification in RAW.

I see. Would it be the case with any RAW editor?

What camera do you use?

I ask because, if youā€™re going to have to rotate images to get the right composition (I get that, some subjects and situations donā€™t let you compose optimally in-camera), your sensor resolution may be exposing the rotation artifacts more egregiously. My best camera is 24MP; I wouldnā€™t expect images from it to perform in rotation as well as equivalent images from, say, a 42MP camera.

I donā€™t have direct observation experience amongst softwares, but I would think so. Thereā€™s only so much a rotation algorithm can do to preserve the local pixel relationships in arbitrary-angle rotations. Oh, I do have rotation experience; Iā€™ve cobbled together a bi-linear rotation algorithm for my hack software.

1 Like

As a very first step I would disable Auto-fill and then crop off the resulting black borders. That should give you a much better result.

1 Like

Thanks! Iā€™m going to try this. i also will try to experiment in GIMP over the same parameters.

Auto-fill upsizes the image (because it tries to keep the image dimensions after rotation) and so leads to less sharp result, especially if it has to upsize a lot.

3 Likes

I used Pentax K5iis (16.3MP) for this sample but Iā€™ve been in the same situation before, with Pentax KP (24MP) and it was the same story developing in RT. I actually think that higher MP would show even worse deterioration.

@Hatsofe_B

grafik

1 Like

:+1: Thanks! I definitely will. Canā€™t do anything right now, Iā€™m on my way to work.

1 Like

It works ! You were right !
Iā€™ve disabled the ā€œAuto fillā€ only and did not notice any changes in sharpness or micro contrast after performing fine angle adjustment .
Applying an ā€œAuto-cropā€ or doing the cropping manually after "Auto fillā€™ cancellation doesnā€™t affect the image quality either.
Thank you!

1 Like