vkdt dev diary pt 8, windows port

The Appimage works fine for me on Arch. I do have Appimage launcher installed, don’t know if that makes any difference?

I tested it on EndeavourOS. The appimage itself does start and is functional but it cannot save jpegs. When I start it from the terminal, the output is that some jpeg libraries were not found.
Maybe I downloaded the wrong Appimage.

You’re right sorry, it won’t save them. I just tried it with the latest Appimage on the site.

1 Like

I do static linking in rawproc, just a old-fool’s predilection I guess. If you use mxe you’ll get an nice all-static x86_64 build; just looked and they have vulkan-headers and vulkan-loader incorporated into their mother-of-all-makefiles.

However, Windows’ version of “appimage” is a lot cleaner than any Linux, I think owing to the incorporation of the GDI in the OS from the start. You just bundle all the needed .dlls in the installer, and they’re used from the same directory as the executable.

1 Like

On another note:

VCC, a clang compiler for Vulkan

it’s not a technical problem (yes of course i’ll bundle them. in fact it seems i have to do that just to be able to locally run by double clicking the exe) but it’s unnecessary bloat. it’s a waste of resources and my time. i mean i’m using exiv2 to grab like five specific exif values from files. don’t get me started on what else pretty much all programs you cite link to.

of course works here. as opposed to the dt appimage this one uses LD_LIBRARY_PATH to load shipped libjpeg, it should not attempt to load the ones on your system. if you strace it, does it try to open() some libjpeg.so? it should not. can you post any more specific logs? which libc is used in your base system? does the dt appimage work? i can also prepare a second alternative that does not use the bundled libraries…

hm i’m not a compiler person. glsl works fine i think. also i want to be able to access subgroups and tensor cores more than accessing high level language features such as pointers.

You can just append e.g. C:\msys64\ucrt64\bin (or whatever MSYS2 environment you installed wherever) to your Windows PATH for any testing before bundling, those DLLs will then always be available to you.

1 Like

great, thanks. might be good for some quick testing. yes, urct64, it’s exactly that path.

1 Like
[anna@anna-ms7c96 Downloads]$ ./vkdt-nightly-x86_64.AppImage
[ERR] libjpeg.so.62: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[ERR] libomp.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[gui] glfwGetVersionString() : 3.4.0 X11 GLX Null EGL OSMesa monotonic
[gui] monitor [0] HDMI-0 at 0 0
[gui] vk extension required by GLFW:
[gui]   VK_KHR_surface
[gui]   VK_KHR_xcb_surface
[gui] no joysticks found
[gui] no display profile file display.HDMI-0, using sRGB!
[ERR] could not open directory '(null)'!
[ERR] [thm] no images in list!

btw I also tried to compile it on EndeavourOS and that failed as well but I think not for the same reason.
dt 6.7 nightly appimage starts normally

:person_shrugging: does this other appimage work?

Bit patience please. I just wiped my external ssd to set up the original Arch Linux but the Nvidia driver is not installed yet.
Are you also pushing your students to work in this manner?

Well, apparently still the same result:

[anna@archlinux Downloads]$ ./vkdt-nightly-noldpath-x86_64.AppImage
[ERR] libmad.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[gui] glfwGetVersionString() : 3.4.0 X11 GLX Null EGL OSMesa monotonic
[gui] monitor [0] HDMI-0 at 0 0
[gui]   VK_KHR_surface
[gui]   VK_KHR_xcb_surface
[gui] no joysticks found
[ERR] [thm] no images in list!

hmm okay thanks for trying. it seems some updates of the appimage toolchain changed the path where libraries are shipped internally. could you try the new nightly from the webpage please?

Seems to work now.

2 Likes

for the super adventurous pre alpha testers there’s an initial zip file with windows binaries. as pointed out above, there’s a github issue with some information on what’s known incomplete, please let me know if you try it and have any comments (works/doesn’t work/misses important feature/etc).

Hello @hanatos

Just tried on Windows 10 pro (64 bit)
CPU i5 8500 - 8 gb Ram
NO GPU (it is “integrated on the motherboard”…)

The GUI (vkdt) does not show up.

From the power shell here is the message (Vulkan failed because of the GPU, I suppose…):

PS C:\Users\xxx\xxx\vkdt-nightly-w64\vkdt-0.7.99-165-g6411f83a> .\vkdt.exe
[gui] glfwGetVersionString() : 3.3.8 Win32 WGL EGL OSMesa MinGW
[gui] monitor [0] Generic PnP Monitor at 0 0
[gui] VK_KHR_surface
[gui] VK_KHR_win32_surface
[31m[ERR][0m yuv (G8_B8R8_2PLANE_420) not supported!
[31m[ERR][0m init vulkan failed
[31m[ERR][0m failed to init gui/swapchain

1 Like

Well, it’s running! It’s 10pm here and I’m tired, so won’t do any more investigation tonight.
But looking good. :slight_smile:
Looks like I need to set some stuff up, but just to have it running on Win11 is great.
AMD CPU and GPU

Edit: Forgot to say, I’m running from a folder on the main windows C drive, and Windows Security went into a crazy loop of killing vkdt, notifying me that it needed to submit virus samples, then vkdt would start again and the whole thing repeats. Making the folder an ‘exception’ did the trick.

1 Like

If I launch it from Eingeabeaufforderung I get this:

C:\Users\anna>C:\Users\anna\Downloads\vkdt-nightly-w64\vkdt-0.7.99-165-g6411f83a\vkdt.exe
←[31m[ERR]←[0m "C:\Users\anna\Downloads\vkdt-nightly-w64\vkdt-0.7.99-165-g6411f83a\modules\i-bc1\libi-bc1.so": Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.
←[31m[ERR]←[0m "C:\Users\anna\Downloads\vkdt-nightly-w64\vkdt-0.7.99-165-g6411f83a\modules\i-exr\libi-exr.so": Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.
←[31m[ERR]←[0m "C:\Users\anna\Downloads\vkdt-nightly-w64\vkdt-0.7.99-165-g6411f83a\modules\i-jpg\libi-jpg.so": Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.
←[31m[ERR]←[0m "C:\Users\anna\Downloads\vkdt-nightly-w64\vkdt-0.7.99-165-g6411f83a\modules\i-jpglst\libi-jpglst.so": Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.
←[31m[ERR]←[0m "C:\Users\anna\Downloads\vkdt-nightly-w64\vkdt-0.7.99-165-g6411f83a\modules\i-raw\libi-raw.so": Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.
←[31m[ERR]←[0m "C:\Users\anna\Downloads\vkdt-nightly-w64\vkdt-0.7.99-165-g6411f83a\modules\o-bc1\libo-bc1.so": Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.
←[31m[ERR]←[0m "C:\Users\anna\Downloads\vkdt-nightly-w64\vkdt-0.7.99-165-g6411f83a\modules\o-exr\libo-exr.so": Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.
←[31m[ERR]←[0m "C:\Users\anna\Downloads\vkdt-nightly-w64\vkdt-0.7.99-165-g6411f83a\modules\o-jpg\libo-jpg.so": Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.
[gui] glfwGetVersionString() : 3.3.8 Win32 WGL EGL OSMesa MinGW
[gui] monitor [0] Generic PnP Monitor at 0 0
[gui]   VK_KHR_surface
[gui]   VK_KHR_win32_surface
[gui] no joysticks found
[gui] no display profile file display.Generic PnP Monitor, using sRGB!
[gui] no display profile file display.Generic PnP Monitor, using sRGB!
←[31m[ERR]←[0m module thumb main connector input has uninited size!
←[31m[ERR]←[0m [thm] failed to run first half of graph!
←[31m[ERR]←[0m could not load required thumbnail symbols!
←[31m[ERR]←[0m [thm] no images in list!
←[31m[ERR]←[0m module thumb main connector input has uninited size!
←[31m[ERR]←[0m [thm] failed to run first half of graph!
←[31m[ERR]←[0m could not load required thumbnail symbols!
←[31m[ERR]←[0m [thm] no images in list!

The program itself does start but it does not show any thumbnails no matter which directory I select.

If I launch it with a double click on vkdt.exe, it starts and shows thumbnails of jpegs but if I try to open a directory with raws it crashes.

Tested it on Windows 10 with the newest Nvidia driver for Geforce 1660 Super.

One more edit: if I start it with a double click it does show the thumbnails in the Directory Pictures, but if I try to manually select the same directory it crashes as well.

Also, I don’t know how to select a directory that is not on drive C.

hmm that means which intel? or amd? yuv formats are kinda optional but i doub’t you’ll have fun using this gpu anyways. thanks for trying though. i probably want to make the error message more instructive.

haha that’s windows for you. i think i understood half of the words you use here but i’m infering it’s one of these @#$%^ popup windows that i love so much about this platform.

uh, i have no idea what that is. probably not the msys2 prompt though. is that the full output? can you try to add -d all -D perf switches? it would display some search paths which obviously don’t work in your case. maybe filenames too long?

me neither. one-letter drives are like they were in the 90s on DOS i assume. may need special code.

1 Like

Hello @hanatos

hmm that means which intel? or amd? yuv formats are kinda optional but i doub’t you’ll have fun using this gpu anyways

This is definitely not a pc for graphics stuff… :wink:
Its integrated gpu is: intel uhd graphics 630

I have therefore tried on a different Pc:
Operating System: Windows 11 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Processor: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-12700H (20 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Laptop GPU

Vkdt starts super-fast on the CMD
Here is a screenshot:

In all truth I am a bit at loss because I am not an expert on this software and the documentation on github is a bit terse but zoom-in out and panning; cropping and changing the exposure etc etc (quite basic stuff, indeed…) work all well.
Tested both jpeg and Nefs files (Nikon D850)

No crash whatsoever so far: tested for around 20 minutes now.
It looks super stable on my pc notwithstanding being an alpha release :slight_smile:

1 Like