vkdt devel diary

hi,

great to hear the debian package works. i briefly tested it here too and all was good, but that doesn’t mean much.

yes, the whole tools section needs an overhaul i think. currently i’m not shipping any of it, you’ll have to grab it from the git repo (not great for essential things as setting up colour management). i also have a shell script for a website gallery generator that i’d like to ship along with this.

re: zoom level indicator: that sounds reasonable and not like much work.

re: on/off button: i don’t have that. it’s not too hard to include for most modules (if they have a generic input and output connector and nothing else). i’d probably like to ship some convenience button that temporarily wires the ab module instead such that you can see the effect in a split screen.

in general there are many such convenience/gui things that could speed up workflows that i didn’t invest time in at all. i suppose after the hardening-the-core phase i’ll have to spend some time on user interface things.

re: blurry export: you sure the debian package is in fact from recent git? maybe i have to manually trigger a package build. as a check… do you have a chroma slider in the denoise module? or presets?

https://github.com/hanatos/vkdt/commit/dccc74ef5445f3dedd9d49610dc1d9db47e1b6e3 <= this commit should take care that the image is processed in full and resampled with catmull/rom on export.

re:srgb: yeah the o-jpg modules etc (as soon as their input connector requests ui8) are wired in a way that they receive srgb. if you want to export linear rec2020, use the pfm output format.

the exported image does not include anything but pixels. in particular that means no exif/metadata or colour profiles. (because i don’t mind, because bloatware, and because exiv2 is an optional dependency)

1 Like

ok, i cloned the the git repo and ran read-icc.py, but where do I have to put the display profile file so vkdt from the deb package can use it?
I put it in /bin/, where vkdt is but it does not seem to work. Also tried the /home/anna/.config/vkdt/. Do I have to add something to config.rc?

One more thing: I exported a file as pfm, and I was able to open in darktable and GIMP but the photo is upside down.

never mind. I think I found the directory, it’s /lib/vkdt/

yes, /usr/lib/vkdt or whatever resembles most the bin/ directory in the git repo.

pfm are always upside down, no matter how often you flip them.

…and yes, i should make a lot of things work from the ~/.config/vkdt directory instead. or at least look there first and then in the global directory. similar for the presets and pipeline blocks.

PA310208.ORF.cfg.txt (2.9 KB)

It’s impressive what you can do just on the side… Meanwhile it’s actually a usable program.

But please do not change too much during the next weeks.

2 Likes

haha, great to hear, thanks. and don’t worry. life keeps me busy… i wish i’d change things in the next weeks :wink:

Lovely photo…where is that if I may ask?? The colors look like those from my latest fall hike…

1 Like

Thanks. I took the photo on October 31 in a so called nature park, the Naturpark Sparbach in Lower Austria.

1 Like

Our fall was delayed into November. Didn’t manage to find the time to enjoy the autumn colours (my hikes didn’t coincide with that period), so thanks for your photos @betazoid.

1 Like

That could be a path near my home in Hamilton…there is a long trail that runs from Niagara Falls to Tobermory in the northern section (900Km + 450K of side trails)…It runs all along the Niagara escarpment through Hamilton and Dundas where I live. The Dundas valley section was full of yellows and oranges this year…Thanks for sharing…

I have trouble setting up noise profiling.
I ran the script noise-profile.sh and copied the files that it created to /lib/vkdt/data/nprof/ resp /lib/vkdt/.
It created a file OLYMPUS CORPORATION-E-M5MarkIII-250.nprof.jpg and OLYMPUS CORPORATION-E-M5MarkIII-250.nprof

This is the content of the OLYMPUS CORPORATION-E-M5MarkIII-250.nprof file:

80.4075 2.35009

The photo still becomes green if I move the strength slider.

Do I need to change something in noiseprofile.cfg?

When running noise-profile.sh, I get this:

nna@anna-ms7c96:~/vkdt/bin$ ./noise-profile.sh /media/anna/968A-0DBC/20211109/PB090382.ORF
[rawspeed] load /media/anna/968A-0DBC/20211109/PB090382.ORF in 221ms
[nprof] WARN: reducing expectations 1x because we collected very few valid samples!
[ERR] device does not support requested feature samplerAnisotropy, trying anyways
[ERR] device does not support requested feature shaderStorageImageExtendedFormats, trying anyways
[ERR] device does not support requested feature shaderUniformBufferArrayDynamicIndexing, trying anyways
[ERR] device does not support requested feature shaderSampledImageArrayDynamicIndexing, trying anyways
[ERR] device does not support requested feature shaderStorageBufferArrayDynamicIndexing, trying anyways
[ERR] device does not support requested feature shaderStorageImageArrayDynamicIndexing, trying anyways
[ERR] device does not support requested feature inheritedQueries, trying anyways
[rawspeed] load /media/anna/968A-0DBC/20211109/PB090382.ORF in 219ms
[o-jpg] writing 'OLYMPUS CORPORATION-E-M5MarkIII-500.nprof'

Edit: is it possible that the deb package was compiled without exiv2 support?

Can I fix this?

you can check that in the gui: if under the histogram no camera model is printed, it has no exiv2 support compiled in. i think the package has support for all bells and whistles.

does the jpg it created during profiling look any good? can you post it?

also, this is the gaussian/poissonian part of the noise for this camera/model and iso combination. it should work for, say, exactly this image… or any other image by that camera with exactly this iso.

as a fallback, you can dial in these values as parameters in the i-raw module. that’s not what you’d usually want to do, but may serve as a sanity check (would it fix the green to have non-zero values there). i think it’s slightly suspicious though that it turns green. in latest versions here i usually observed different weird artifacts, but rarely green.

do you have presets in dr mode? by pressing ctrl-p or ctrl-o?

it works now. Apparently it is necessary to have a noise profile for every single iso value.

But I don’t think that I have presets.

:stuck_out_tongue: testing this program the whole day was so exhausting!

3 Likes

yes.

ouch. so i should double check the debian package and whether it’s up to date.

yeah sorry, just triggered a rebuild. apparently i have to do it manually and forgot. new packages available now.

1 Like

Are you planning to add a spot removal tool (clone brush)?