Vulkano eruption stromboli - help needed with clipped highlights

P3068273.ORF.xmp (16.9 KB)

Great photograph! I’m not sure if those bright points were stars or hot pixels, so I enabled hot pixel removal either way.

2 Likes

RawTherapee → Hugin → RawTherapee

Nice image to play with, thanks!

1 Like

Great shot! Here my try with RT dev 3075:

P3068273.ORF-2.jpg.out.pp3 (15,5 KB)

2 Likes

Yes. A lot of tone-eq to dial down the the highlights and then d/s to get them yellowish, started from the inpaint highlights preset and tweaked until I liked the result. For my edit it was also important to set preserve chrominance in filmic to none, to preserve the yellow and orange tones. Also no highlight reconstruction module at the beginning of the pipeline.

It seems to be just very tricky to get this to work. The settings of d/s and the mask are very dependant from the previous modules in the pipeline. So I’m afraid you can not easily copy them from my edit to yours. I too had more problems on you redit to get a reasonably result. Like in my edit I first added a second instance of tone-eq to curb more of the highlights. I also used an elliptical shape for the mask to limit its area of effect. Everything else is just trial and error.

This is the best I could get based on your edit with just some more tone-eq.

P3068273.ORF.xmp (12.3 KB)

I normally use it for problematic situations, but this time it didn’t work for me. But what I did with d/s, you can do with filmic too. Here I outsourced filmic hl-reconstruction to a second instance, preserve chrominance to none.

__P3068273.ORF.xmp (13.4 KB)

3 Likes

P3068273.ORF.xmp (14.9 KB)

P3068273_01.ORF.xmp (15.3 KB)

2 Likes

I took my edit and simplified it.

There is now a very small amount of filmic hl-reconstruction. Instead of d/s I use a second instance of color balance rgb after filmic, masked like d/s before, to tweak the colors. If you set this module after filmic, don’t forget to change blend mode.

grafik

For me, this setup is way easier to handle. (Update: Take a little bit care of clipping)

P3068273.ORF.xmp (17.4 KB)

2 Likes

My version…

Darktable 3.9.0~git24.477bc5c41a-1
P3068273.ORF.xmp (21.6 KB)

1 Like

This is my edit … there was very little ‘yellow’ that I found usable so I pulled some in with the dt-color-contrast (without blue). Maybe that is cheating!
file:///home/david/Desktop/P3068273_01.jpg

Image added correctly!

1 Like

:slight_smile:

P3068273.ORF.xmp (7.2 KB)

1 Like

And the second version with Tone Equalizer:

eq

eq2

4 Likes

ART

P3068273.jpg.out.arp (10.9 KB)

3 Likes

My version. I think some white in the hot “core” is okay.

P3068273.ORF.xmp (17.9 KB)

2 Likes

I like this version, especially the colors in the clipped area!
I thought that hugin is just for stacking. What step does the program take in your process?

Stacking and exposure fusion (enfuse).

So then first you produce multiple versions with different exposures of the one raw and combine them in hugin, and then back into RT for some final steps?

With enfuse/hugin, it is also possible to tonemap single exposures. I don’t remember the RT workflow. I also recall there being one for dt and PhotoFlow.

That one is already answered by @afre.

I created three differently set up versions in RawTherapee (step1): One based on the dark(est) parts, fully ignoring overexposure in the highlights, one targeted for the blue sky (wanted the sky to be blue-ish and, as a result, also had to do some targeted denoising on that one) and lastly a version focused on the very bright parts.

Step2: Used enfuse to merge these three together to get an image that has the best parts of the 3 input tiffs.

And the last step was using RawTherapee to edit the output from Hugin to a viewable end-result. Just a normal edit in the broader sense, but I did focus on the “white” smoke, which I did not want to loose.

Most of this might have been possible using just RawTherapee or ART, but I felt like playing with Hugin and do some experimenting along the way. Great image to do this with.

1 Like

P3068273.ORF.xmp (17.7 KB)

My version of this nice shot.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, very useful for a noob like myself