Vulkano eruption stromboli - help needed with clipped highlights

My version…

Darktable 3.9.0~git24.477bc5c41a-1
P3068273.ORF.xmp (21.6 KB)

1 Like

This is my edit … there was very little ‘yellow’ that I found usable so I pulled some in with the dt-color-contrast (without blue). Maybe that is cheating!
file:///home/david/Desktop/P3068273_01.jpg

Image added correctly!

1 Like

:slight_smile:

P3068273.ORF.xmp (7.2 KB)

1 Like

And the second version with Tone Equalizer:

eq

eq2

4 Likes

ART

P3068273.jpg.out.arp (10.9 KB)

3 Likes

My version. I think some white in the hot “core” is okay.

P3068273.ORF.xmp (17.9 KB)

2 Likes

I like this version, especially the colors in the clipped area!
I thought that hugin is just for stacking. What step does the program take in your process?

Stacking and exposure fusion (enfuse).

So then first you produce multiple versions with different exposures of the one raw and combine them in hugin, and then back into RT for some final steps?

With enfuse/hugin, it is also possible to tonemap single exposures. I don’t remember the RT workflow. I also recall there being one for dt and PhotoFlow.

That one is already answered by @afre.

I created three differently set up versions in RawTherapee (step1): One based on the dark(est) parts, fully ignoring overexposure in the highlights, one targeted for the blue sky (wanted the sky to be blue-ish and, as a result, also had to do some targeted denoising on that one) and lastly a version focused on the very bright parts.

Step2: Used enfuse to merge these three together to get an image that has the best parts of the 3 input tiffs.

And the last step was using RawTherapee to edit the output from Hugin to a viewable end-result. Just a normal edit in the broader sense, but I did focus on the “white” smoke, which I did not want to loose.

Most of this might have been possible using just RawTherapee or ART, but I felt like playing with Hugin and do some experimenting along the way. Great image to do this with.

1 Like

P3068273.ORF.xmp (17.7 KB)

My version of this nice shot.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, very useful for a noob like myself

P3068273.jpg.out.pp3 (15.2 KB)

I have chosen to keep the high contrast of the scene, leading the eye to the beautiful eruption.
RT 5.8-3075

2 Likes

P3068273.jpg.out.pp3 (13.3 KB)

2 Likes