Wairaka Waterfall

Another one from me… I hope you guys aren’t tiring of me posting these. I just feel that I’ve reached a pinnacle in my photography - and editing skills - the later part, as a result of the efforts of the devs who create the awesome software represented here.

DT | L-HDR | Gimp2.9 | RT

Imgur
(Updated, and tidied from original shot posted)

2 Likes

Can you share a little more about your current process, including capturing? These are quite sharp, are you doing any focus stacking?

You might also benefit from a circular polarizer to help take the glare off the water. I would’ve also made the shutter a little longer to smooth the water (maybe you can try and smooth it in gimp with some blurring?), but I realize not everyone likes to lug around a tripod.

I think the green is a touch over saturated.

Otherwise your last few posts have been very good!

No focus stacking, just merging 3 different exposures into an HDR. I’ve noticed this can cause a sharpening effect as well. I apply only a little more sharpening at the end of the process using the GECL Unsharp Mask in Gimp.

As far as capturing is concerned, I’ve recently discovered BBF (back button focusing) which has also improved the quality (and thus sharpness) of my images. I’ve also discovered spot metering, and coming to terms with that and how it might benefit my photography.

I really didn’t plan this shot, so didn’t have a CP filter (or tripod) with me, which would have definitely made a difference with regard to the reflection.

Yeah I wondered about the green being a tad over saturated, but I kinda like the effect. I’m a bit of a sucker for contrasty/slightly over saturated pics - something I need to be mindful of.

What was your goal, when you created the image? For me it looks absolutely over saturated and the colours look very unnaturally. I would like to see the original photos to get a better idea, what you have done?

I like what you have put out lately.

Well this one as just a nature image I would also see a little overdone in micro contrast and coloring but putting an elf somewhere near the second step of the waterfall would look then “naturally” :wink:

I personally would clone out this piece of wood - this almost orange thing at the lower right end of the waterfall, it’s somehow distracting from the rest.

Cheers
Martin

Hi!

Wouldn’t it be interesting to test Morgan Hardwood’s Old Oak work flow on your waterfall?

Have fun!
Claes

Thanks for all your comments…

I tried to remove the log, but now the pic looks, well, naked.

I indicated earlier that I like slightly over saturated and contrasty images, and would suggest this is one of those. I wouldn’t consider it overly saturated. Well, it doesn’t look that way on my monitor. I’ve also checked on other non-calibrated monitors, and if anything it seems the colours have been dulled down.

Having said that, it’s been at least 3 months since I’ve calibrated this monitor. Perhaps it’s time…

So, with that in mind I’ve muted the saturation a little in the pic above, but it looks pretty insipid by comparison.

EDIT: I have just noticed that when I view the top image in a browser that doesn’t support colour management, the pic does indeed look overly saturated. When veiwed in a colour managed browser, and indeed XNView (also colour managed), the pic looks more natural. That might help explain why some see it as over saturated? I use Firefox, which has been configured for colour management. My understanding is Chrome/Chromuim and derivitatives doesn’t support it at all.

I’m on Firefox mobile, but I assume my screen isn’t very accurate.

Looked overdaturated to me.

Yes agreed! But with the normal Firefox browser with CM enabled is much better. I guess it’s pretty difficult to colour manage cellphones and to a lesser extent tablets.

Thx for the clarification!

I’d hope Firefox is consistent across platforms, but that’s probably too much wishful thinking.

There’s the rub I think. I know the desktop browser doesn’t support CM by default, you have to configure it yourself. As for mobile, it’s pretty difficult to calibrate those screens to start with. Imagine hanging a CM sensor over a mobile screen and at the same time adjust RGB values! Lol.

In what color space did you save the image? Maybe it wasn’t sRGB? There is that somewhat strange bug here that the forum caches images and removes the embedded profile which makes browsers treat images as sRGB, even if they weren’t in the first place.

1 Like

That might also contribute to the prob. I export as Adobe RGB compatible. Thx for that @houz.

Even though we supplied a darn patch. I’ll check on it when I get a moment…

Keep 'em coming! Simply stunning work!

I very much enjoy your waterfall and the sharpness of detail.

As for the saturation, it looks plumb real for the soggy over-grown hills of Kentucky; any less green than that around here and the weather-man would be declaring a drought.