Was It Worth Trying to Fix This Blown Out Sky?

I really have no idea how faithful images are when they get downsized. I know there are different aligo’s in different apps etc but my screen is only 1920 by 1280 so your image has 4 or 5 more pixels on each axis… I never really stopped to think about it and maybe its not really an issue but there must be compression of that extra information to map it to a lower resolution device…

My father-in-law always said, “A weed is just a flower out of place.”

2 Likes

Or something to make wine with… :slight_smile: Dandelion Flower Wine Recipe

2 Likes

I already tried that one on my wife…

1 Like

Here is my attempt at an edit. As usual, I see it as a dreary day, so I can’t bring myself to the bright, lively foreground everyone seems to prefer. dt 4.4.2

20230813_0082.CR2.xmp (7.4 KB)

2 Likes

It was very changeable but at this point, yes, I think it had been raining

1 Like

RT itcwb dev build from a while back (laptop couch edit)

20230813_0082.jpg.out.pp3 (13.9 KB)

Added a graduated filter which imho was a bit uneccessary. Clouds where quite nice with less contrast. Left it in for populist reasons :wink: Otherwise no fiddling really. Slightly tweaked tone curve, colour propagation highligh reconstruction.

1 Like

Rawtherapee 5.9 + Gimp 2.10.34

1 Like

I looked up that camera… seems like it has a mode to “bypass” the low-pass filter… Have you experimented with that at all …would be interesting to see if you see a sharper image

ART 1.20.1

20230813_0082.CR2.arp (19.0 KB)

Once those highlights are gone, they’re gone. I tried to mitigate them as much as possible (not the least by simply cropping some off). It was kinda tough to keep the pink cast suppressed, though.

I think this is worth reshooting if / when conditions merit. It could benefit from bracketing and focus stacking, at least the fore- to mid-ground.

3 Likes

Yeah, I tried to crop a bit but there are still dataless chunks I’ve tried to imperfectly disguise as cloud

1 Like

As far as I understand, the 5DSR has an extra low pass filter reversed that’s supposed to cancel out the effect of the normal low pass filter in the 5DS version. That’s the manufacturer blurb, anyway. I don’t think it’s user controllable

My attempt below. I think the most interesting parts are the flowers, so I did not emphasize the sky, and removed contrast from the distant hills etc.

20230813_0082.CR2.xmp (31.3 KB)

3 Likes

Shows how a simple picture can be taken in quite a few different ways. The sky is probably closer to how I perceived it at the time and feels more realistic

2 Likes

All I did to the sky is skew in sigmoid.

1 Like

Another version…

20230813_0082_01.CR2.xmp (19.1 KB)

4 Likes

My attempt using RT 5.9 dev
A beautiful scene! Only the clouds … :cry:

20230813_0082_RT-1.jpg.out.pp3 (18.5 KB)

3 Likes

Using Tone Equalizer to push down the highlights + Color Look Up Table to remove the magenta overcast:

20230813_0082.CR2.xmp (34.3 KB)

3 Likes

Those display referred modules are a mystery to me though some seem pretty useful

Thanks for sharing - my attempt. Darktable 4.4.2

The sky was definitely a challenge.

20230813_0082.CR2.xmp (23.8 KB)

2 Likes