Wayland color management

in defense of my colleagues in the vfx industry, they 1) are engaged quite a bit in the aswf and 2) are very busy people indeed. i don’t see people working under such deadlines and with these workloads (getting renderers/compositor nodes/texture drawing programs right, pushing shots out the door) also fixing the base system unless it is broken.

3 Likes

May I note that under x11 the CM is also not in a perfect shape. Here I shortly described my exercises attempting to get 10-bit from X11 pipeline. Lost in vain…
…which in turn may suggest that we won’t get a proper CM until 2032…

I’ll still take “not perfect” (but still works, x11) vs not working or complete Wayland :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

can you prove that the gnome wayland colormgmt stuff, which they have for quite a while already, doesnt work?

Loading an ICC profile isn’t color management; its half of what’s needed.

Running displaycal in a native Wayland window, completing the profiling and loading the resulting ICC profile is what is needed. The protocol has barely been written and not even sure its merged, so how could it work?

3 Likes

Add the issue of apps (like gimp, krita, inkscape, blender) not supporting wayland way of doing colour management yet, which is not just one way but two or three way depending on which desktop environment you run the app. And I do not think apps (which are now running under xwayland, which is probably stuck in sRGB space) have working colour management under wayland yet.

4 Likes

Yes, they’re working on it.

But it isn’t implemented and its not done.

you are assuming that i am talking about the new color management protocol. I am not. gnome had a workaround in place for years. i am talking about that one.

2 Likes

This is for gaming and HDR not about graphic design photography and creative apps. I know you think it is possible right now but it is not. None of the apps that we care support native wayland colour management right now.

Again we really really want to use it we want to ditch X11 so bad but sadly it is not possible right now.

It’s work that’s being done in areas that end up sharing the same problems that need solving. He didn’t say anything was ready at the moment, merely that work is being made, so that’s a rather strange reply.

That said, HDR is as relevant for ‘creative apps’, than anything else we’ve been talking about here.

1 Like

The focus is more in the gaming side from what I see. Yes we are very fortunate HDR shares things with colour management.

Here they announce dropping x11 in RHEL10 which is due in 2025. I noticed that they mentioned color mgmt as #1 in their todo list.

2 Likes

RHEL10 is not that important (or what they decided to drop). When 10 is released most users have just moved to 8/9, and they will stay on that for several years. IMHO v10 will probably be a bad release if X11 is dropped, so better to just skip it (probably fixed in v11, famous last words :stuck_out_tongue: ).

1 Like

Xorg doesnt even have enough members anymore to vote for their own board. by the time rhel 11 and similar distros come out, Xorg is probably really dead.

so instead of trying to cling to it, I would say it is time to start moving on or step up and help with it.

1 Like

X.org Foundation is not X.org :wink:

1 Like

Yes, but the meaning of “color management” seems to have shifted to “HDR support” lately. Capped sRGB is not a problem and making calibration hardware work certainly doesn’t seem to be a priority. In April Fedora will no longer have longer have support for a color managed workflow. It sucks.

It’s unfortunate but fedora has been ‘advancing’, for lack of a better word, for a few years already. They were one of the first distros to implement wayland by default and are by no means what people should use if they don’t want change.

1 Like

The point of Fedora is to push new stuff, a testing ground for what is (maybe) “the next new and shiny whatever”. Should not be used for anything production related IMHO.

2 Likes

Too bad they make the most polished atomic/immutable distros. I’ve been using Kinoite and Universal Blue (with the kinoite-main image) on my not-main-computer for some time. Its very stable by nature, but obviously a testing ground for RHEL too.

I’d really to use it on my main computer — but now, for the foreseeable future — I don’t think that’s an option.

1 Like