Wayland color management

I do not know about GIMP but from what I know, the krita team has not started to investigate anything related to wayland yet. And it might take a while when krita would be made wayland compatible.

I also think the wayland colour management protocol is not yet merged. Only a subset of the draft is implemented in kwin (do not know about gnome)

The weston MR is good (not yet merged) but I do not know how it will help us because majority of us use either gnome or KDE. None of the distro or DE use it, it is primarily focused as a non desktop uses such as automotive, embedded, in-flight, industrial, kiosks, set-top boxes and TVs.

So I think the situation is very slowly getting better but it is not yet there.

You are really wrong on that one. and you will be even more wrong this year and next year.

I linked the KDE dev’s post about Wayland vs x11 literally in the post to which you replied. and gnome is already discussing to drop the X11 session. So really if an app is not supporting native wayland already and you dont want to go through Xwayland forever 
 you better start working on it now.

2 Likes

Afaik Weston is also a reference implementation, so once that’s done, the work others will have to do is greatly diminished since they will have something to base their work on. It’s a small snowball that’s finally starting to roll it seems.

1 Like

I tested wayland color management on kde plasma 6 beta. A bit at least.
At first sight, it looks great that desktop icons etc don’t look oversaturated on a wide gamut screen. However, everything is displayed like srgb. Wayland ignores the difference between photos in srgb and adobergb, e.g. I tested this with Gwenview and Firefox which are both supposed to be wayland native. They both show the exact same colors as darktable which uses xwayland. In the release notes of plasma 6 it is stated that color management only works for apps that work in srgb.
This is a joke, isn’t it? I’d happily swich to wayland if color management were functional.

Anyway, sometimes I have the feeling that politics are even involved in some open source software development decisions

1 Like

That’s due to KDE’s initial implementation, I believe. As I remember it, they have sRGB-only color “management” for now. Presumably that will change as more bits get done.

I meant none of the distro or DE use weston. I am not sure if it is going to be used by gnome or KDE. they have their own implementation of the wayland protocol. KDE has some implementation of the colour management protocol.

But you said -

Which is not true since the protocol itself is not finalised and whatever implementation you see (which is not complete yet) is based on the draft. From what I know by talking to the kwin dev there are two or three different way of doing colour management in wayland and gnome kde weston or sway implement one of these ways so app developers do not have one set of API or anything.

Moreover there are talks to develop a portal for the apps to get information about the colour profiles etc from the compositor. Right now everything is opaque and locked up due to security principles of wayland :slight_smile: . I have not seen any discussion or issue for this hypothetical portal being discussed anywhere on the internet just one of suggestions by the compositor devs.

This is also wrong in terms of krita. I do not know anyone in the team who is looking on wayland right now. They might do it but they are not investigating anything right now. I can’t comment about gimp.

I am not saying otherwise, we all know it is going to be wayland that is not the debate here. We all also want wayland that is also not the debate. Atleast I am not the opposing party to wayland here. I really really want to use wayland right now. But I can’t that is the issue.

Your comment made it sound like the work is more or less done while it is not true.

Aparently that is enough for artists use case. Fedora devs take this half implementation and call it on par with X11

1 Like

GIMP had a meeting with Wayland developers last year during Wilber Week regarding color management, but I don’t think much more has been done yet: GIMP Developer - Wilber Week 2023: Amsterdam, Netherland

Yeah I know about that I think inkscape team members were present too.
I think this meeting did not cover everything because I saw jehan raising some issues in the wayland color management merge request, so there is more to be done and there may be more issues from the app developer side to be addressed.

It seemed like the meeting was positive and the statements on the social media by wayland devs about positive reaction during the meeting etc made it look like it is all sorted but in reality it was not.

Many of the apps like inkscape gimp and krita etc have their plates full right now and to me as far as I know none of them have started to investigate wayland. Take part in meetings yes, gave feedback yes, but no work has been started as far as I know.

Look I am not trying to diminish any work that is being done, there is a lot of work that is being done and that is really great. I am just trying to set the expectation straight. We probably won’t be able to use wayland and the apps natively on it in the coming year or may be year after that. No amount of rush or hype is going to solve the pending work that is needed.

2 Likes

And it is not like X11 is just going to stop working or not be available in the next years.

1 Like

Yes, an Inkscape team member attended as well.
At least for GIMP, I know that Wayland fixes will be a focus after the upcoming 2.99.18 release and the first release candidate. However, I think it’s more general support (color management is mentioned on the roadmap, but at this point I doubt it’s a blocker for 3.0).

1 Like

Does color management work properly on Gnome-Wayland? I mean are colors outside of sRGB displayed properly?

Nope. It is the current state of a huge project that has been running for 15 years now on volunteer effort. They have done amazing work that paves the road for the future of Linux desktops.

I expect that Wayland will fix color management eventually. I also understand that we would all prefer if that all happened soon. But it as all things, it takes time. In the meantime, plain vanilla X11 remains perfectly functional, and there is no need to belittle the work that Wayland devs have done so far.

I doubt that Fedora devs are unpayed.

According to this Linux Guide/Applications supported via Wayland - Wikibooks, open books for an open world RawTherapee is a native Wayland app???!!!

some packagers are paid by redhat. same for SUSE. but i can tell you that a very large chunk of both distros are community packager. not to mention that the people who are often coding on those opensource projects are even more volunteers which are often unpaid. You want to keep that in mind.

1 Like

In addition to the point made by @darix (lot of unpaid volunteers), please recognize that even is someone is being paid work their work (at least partially), the money for that is donated by someone (if it is a corporation, then indirectly by its shareholders).

Some projects span decades before the end result is even remotely feature complete. During the transition to a new framework, there are a lot of issues, and it is unfortunate that developers get a lot of flak because stuff inevitably breaks.

Wayland is now usable for 99% of desktop users, but those who need color management are still an exception. If you have the patience, you can contribute by checking it periodically, seeing if the issues are reported, and if not, opening one with all the details. But if you don’t, that’s fine too. Just please don’t call it a joke at this stage, it is WIP. Hearing things like this all the time leads to developer burnout, making everyone worse off.

Are you aware of the fact that most modern screens have a color space that is larger than sRGB? What’s the point of having such a screen if the software doesn’t send colors outside of sRGB to the screen?

Yeah
 I doubt that. There are more issues/missing feature than CM.

1 Like