Wayland color management

Here they announce dropping x11 in RHEL10 which is due in 2025. I noticed that they mentioned color mgmt as #1 in their todo list.

2 Likes

RHEL10 is not that important (or what they decided to drop). When 10 is released most users have just moved to 8/9, and they will stay on that for several years. IMHO v10 will probably be a bad release if X11 is dropped, so better to just skip it (probably fixed in v11, famous last words :stuck_out_tongue: ).

1 Like

Xorg doesnt even have enough members anymore to vote for their own board. by the time rhel 11 and similar distros come out, Xorg is probably really dead.

so instead of trying to cling to it, I would say it is time to start moving on or step up and help with it.

1 Like

X.org Foundation is not X.org :wink:

1 Like

Yes, but the meaning of “color management” seems to have shifted to “HDR support” lately. Capped sRGB is not a problem and making calibration hardware work certainly doesn’t seem to be a priority. In April Fedora will no longer have longer have support for a color managed workflow. It sucks.

It’s unfortunate but fedora has been ‘advancing’, for lack of a better word, for a few years already. They were one of the first distros to implement wayland by default and are by no means what people should use if they don’t want change.

1 Like

The point of Fedora is to push new stuff, a testing ground for what is (maybe) “the next new and shiny whatever”. Should not be used for anything production related IMHO.

2 Likes

Too bad they make the most polished atomic/immutable distros. I’ve been using Kinoite and Universal Blue (with the kinoite-main image) on my not-main-computer for some time. Its very stable by nature, but obviously a testing ground for RHEL too.

I’d really to use it on my main computer — but now, for the foreseeable future — I don’t think that’s an option.

1 Like