Weirdness with RawTherapee and a colour management. Please help me understand what's going on.

Ok. The bug that I found about a year ago in Gnome is fixed.
However, the issue that is the topic of this thread quite simply seems to be related to the fact that there are more colors in the raw file when viewed with a tool like RT or dt, whereas in GIMP you can only open a demosaiced photo, and if that was saved in srgb one part of the colors is gone.

This is the conclusion I came to as well. Which just about puts an end to this conundrum. The issue is a non-issue, frankly just a lack of understanding on my part regarding how colour works.

Thank you to all of you that have offered their opinions, I think we can safely assume much to learn I still have.

1 Like

Fwiw, I always found this choice of bypassing the output profile in the preview puzzling. I do not understand what benefit it is supposed to give, and it’s one of the things I’ve changed for my own purposes.

In rawproc I can turn off the output profile by setting display.cms to 0. I use it occasionally to demonstrate things like the effect of color transforms without the interference of the TRC. But yes, doesn’t make sense for regular use.

Don’t we all… but I think its easy to have things happen that you are not assuming happen… I would have thought with color management that if you want it to look the same in GIMP as it does in RT then you would export in your working profile and choose to keep that in GIMP and not let it convert or replace it…

Then your are taking the same data and transforming that with the same display profile to your display…doing this quick experiment albeit on WIndows gives just this… I tweaked rendering but I had already cranked up the vibrance to have a saturated image… in the case of the image I chose not much of a difference in any case that is how I would have expected to get the exact same result…once you export with some other profile there will be changes as people have noted. And GIMP is always offering to convert from the embedded one so that might not be what you want either…

1 Like