What am I missing here? (Can't produce decent output)

(Double post as I can’t mention more than 2 users yet.)

@agriggio
Thanks for the suggestion. I will consider for later.

@gaaned92
I tried DCP just now. It makes it worse at first and I didn’t continue to be honest. The whole color field shifts toward cyan.

Example of 1:1 again:

Aperture:
cutA

RawTherapee:
cutRT

I wasn’t talking about the temperature. I was taking about the sliders below the temperature …

@ChasingShadows
Blue/red seems to help a bit, but there is so much more difference.

Just as @nosle I feel it’s something with contrast or something that’s called ‘structure’ in Instagram.

Counter intuitive I turned down the contrast, lightness and saturation, turned up the exposure and that brings it closer again. But still too much difference.

As @agriggio already said, If you would give as the raw file we might be able to help you

@gaaned92

I believe that is true.

@SaturnusDJ
I’ve played with the uploaded png, and it is difficult to get the colours correct, but who knows what has already been done to it! You need to provide a raw file to get more help, other than the general advice already given.
Your 1:1 sample clearly shows more contrast in Aperture, this would also help the image appear sharper.

James

Is there a setting to take away saturation from low saturated color areas and at the same time enhance the saturation of areas that already have quite strong color saturation?

@SaturnusDJ,
without providing a raw, you will have very little hope to receive a precise and valuable advice. It’s a blind guess.

1 Like

Yes, the Lab tools have CC curve = chromaticity as a function of chromaticity.
The demonstrated curve does what you ask.

Just to be sure : when you activated the DCP, where you on the neutral profile ?
Did you checked some of the box under the Setting?

For me it’s a goo d starting point with DCP, a little S curve on the LAB curve, a bit of black and Vibrance.

I had the same experience as you. When you use RT “out of the box” and open your first raw photo you become disappointed, and it is absolutely not easy to adjust your photo to something pleasing using all the different sliders and tools.
In fact in the beginning I found that RT was much more suited to process jpg photos simply because you are almost already there, so you just need a little fine tuning.
To me the breakthrough was to get an input profile under the colour management section as described in Rawpedias paragraph “General Photography”. And while you are at it get a lens correction profile too.
I use a Nikon D7100 and a custom input profile does wonders for you - but remember to disable auto levels or the result will not be useable.
Then you should create your own raw default profile. I adjusted the following for a low ISO profile:

• Exposure
• Shadow/highlights – local contrast
• Sharpening
• Input profile (as described above)
• Lens correction profile (as described above)

Good luck….

@gaaned92
Agreed. Maybe in a later stage. I have a bit trouble with the idea of the whole world wide web getting one of my nicest photo’s in weeks. Although I understand the pros of doing so.

@james
Thanks!

@keno40
DCP is on ‘camera standard.’

@obe
I use a D3300. Should I use the D3100 profile? And then DCP or ICC or no difference?

Don’t you think that the buildings in the downtown area are leaning backward? A probable cause is that the lens is not exactly parallel to the ground. It might be better if you do some `perspective correction’ in addition to improving colour and contrast.

Can you show us a screenshot ?

I meant pointing your DCP (taken from Adobe Camera Raw) as a custom color reference here : Color Management - RawPedia

I followed the guidelines in “How to get Nicon ICM-profiles” and used one of the profiles, the “D7100 Camera Neutreal.dcp” as Custom Input Profile and checked the Tone curve and Look table under the DCP section. You also get a landscape, portrait and standard profile. Try and see what you like the best.
These profiles are created when you open a photo using Capture NX-D, Capture NX 2 or ViewNX as described in the Rawpedia documentation . You can download these programs at no cost from Nikon.

Ok this topic is getting a bit out of hand. It’s really cool how much activity this site has, very helpful and thanks everyone, but let’s go step by step.

First Sharpness/detail
As far as I know I tried everything I can think of. Profiles, all kinds of contrast settings, sharpness, noise reduction. But it’s still noisy, dirty, no smooth colors. The only way to get it clean is by using a lot of noise reduction which removes ‘the dirt’ but creates so much unsharpness that the main goal of getting more detail still isn’t reached.

Here is a different RAW/NEF from the same shoot. A bit different but the same things considering problem of missing detail apply. With the wide building above the train as reference.

RAW
DSC_0006.NEF (19.7 MB)
Gear: Nikon D3300 + 18-55mm VRII (kit)

@obe
Thanks I will extract the D3300 profile today.

Have you tried the Final Touchup panel in the Wavelet tab to increase apparent sharpness via local contrast?
Be careful not to do too much or halos may occur as I recently discovered (and almost got my head chopped off for it) :grinning:

@shreedhar sometimes it is necessary to decrease contrast in residual image in order to give some room.

1 Like

Ok I have got the neutral icc profiles from the Capture NX 2 software following the Wiki instructions.
One of the profiles gives the photo a red glow and extremely flat contrast, the other makes the photo really bright and without contrast. Adjusting seems very difficult and they just destroy the photo.

I gave it a try … applied a neutral input profile, did some highlight recovery … what is your problem? Is it possible that you just forgot to set a monitor ptofile?

DSC_0006.jpg.out.pp3 (11 KB)

An other try

Use of DNGConverter_9_12_1.zip$APPDATA\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Camera\Nikon D3300\Nikon D3300 camera neutral.dcp

Screen-2017-10-02_16-32-29

DSC_0006.NEF.pp3 (10.6 KB)