What criteria for a good monitor? Any usable monitor database?

Also you need a displayport connection, even with hdmi, it’s not supported sometimes

Good and cheap: Asus

I have the PA278QV - 27" - can be as low as $299

It’s a sort of inbetween normal and real photo screen (that cost at least 3 times that price). It’s generally a good monitor. It’s my first 27", and after using it for a while my only regret is not to have bought the 32" one.

Mine is an earlier model, current same is PA278CV

Wow, we really need to fix the bit depth misunderstanding.

sRGB is a color space, as are DCI P3 or Adobe RGB. sRGB is the least common denominator of all screens, as it is the smallest. But it contains pretty much all reflective colors available (the colors of non self-luminous objects). If you need more, usually it’s for emissive colors (neons, lasers, anything that makes its own colored light).

8 or 10 bits are the intermediate steps in which you split the range between 0 and 100% of the display peak emission in the digital file. That’s encoding. But for us, image processors, that’s also an output encoding, aka a final product. So, further processing is not on the table, it’s a finished product and any processing happens before. If bit depth define the number of steps to go the same floor (100%), you get that the more steps you have, the tiniest they get. But encoding has other tricks, like the transfer functions (improperly called gamma) that help making the steps a bit more uniform perceptually.

Reading that Adobe RGB is a 10-bits space scares me. It means nothing and both have no direct links. Adobe RGB gives coordinates to light emissions, bit depth deals only with files saving.

Seeing banding in 8 bits is rare. There are ways to prevent it (dithering) and it’s usually a low JPEG quality that is responsible for it, or a 8 bits file that got pushed (brightened) too hard. If you push a 12 bits file (or more) then output it to 8 bits, it should be smooth. Since display is the output, it shouldn’t be an issue.

TL;DR, you need high bit depth to edit pictures and be able to brighten them without posterization. High bit depth in HDR output displays is also mandatory. But for SDR output, I’m not convinced. It doesn’t hurt, but if it’s only an excuse to raise the prices, avoid it.

1 Like