What does this forum think of lightroom?

Just add this line to your .bashrc:

alias lightroom darktable

and you’re all set :smirk_cat:

6 Likes

I don’t have an issue with that as long as those are terms I knew that I signed up for. But it’s an entirely different matter if I signed up for what I believed to be a free trial period and come to learn that I had actually signed up for a contract. That just deceptive merchandising.

I LOLed at the the understatement.

Theres no doubt that lightroom is good software, but when comparing to darktable? Yes LR is better, no doubt. LR can handle shadows/highlights in a way that darktable never have. Yes you can use different modules, masks etc, but Lr can do it with 2 sliders. And editing images with wide dynamic range in darktable wil always get conflicts between modules that cause color artifacts. Fixings those will cost you a lot of time.

i have a lot of doubts.

the best tool is the one you can wield effectively

4 Likes

I look forward to the day when we can all make reasonable statements like this. I really despise the habit of talking in absolutes about subjective matters and perpetuating the “us vs them” wars.
“x is clearly better than y”, “z is best, hands down, it’s not even funny”, “J fanboys always say that because they know Q wipes the floor with J when it comes to P”

I know we’re getting really off-topic here and I’m ranting with weird algebra, but I miss nuance. Bring back the shades of grey!

1 Like

Sadly, Lightroom can only be rented with yearly contracts. Payed monthly, optionally, but the contract is still for an entire year. (Although I did once make a stink about this to their customer service, and they refunded it anyway.)

I find this terribly inconvenient. I like to play with software, and I actually like subscription models, as they allow me to rent the software for a month or two and really get to know how it works, without incurring a huge cost.

I also do this whenever I need Microsoft Office for a month. Or when I use more mobile data than usual in a month.

Well, apparently this practice is somewhat common and not profitable for Adobe. Hence the yearly-only contracts. And furthermore, only a two-week trial period. Both are actively user hostile.

For me, this simply means I can’t play with a recent version of Lightroom, can’t get to know how it works too deeply. More of a loss to them than to me, frankly.