What features are planned for Filmulator?

I think remembering the window size and state should be doable.

As for additional imports being enqueued in the existing editor… I need to do some research. It’s probably a good idea to do this but I need to figure out how.

Great! Concerning the size there is a work-around in the Windows system but perhaps not for other systems, it would thus be good to have it in the app.

Thank you in advance!

Because a workflow using different programs is not universally liked. Some people are fine with using a separate DAM, raw developer, stitcher, retoucher, print app and more besides for one photo. Others like to do as much as they can in just one program. It’s a personal preference and I guess it ultimately comes down to what the developer prefers.

@europlatus Well, it was a rhetorical question of course.
Nevertheless, there are so many varieties of all-in-one attempts on the market, FOSS and commercial, so that it seems to be wiser, not to start the next attempt but to concentrate on the developing process.

I know it’s not a popular opinion, but I agree with this.

With all the AI stuff, there are a lot of specialty programs popping up all over the place. You never will get the best denoising to sticking with one program, never the best sharpening with sticking to one program, etc…

For software developed in spare time, you’ll never be able to make every feature good enough to compete with those programs. I’d rather see workflow and support going into making sure input and output from and to those programs is as seamless as possible. DNG input, Linear tiff input, Linear tiff output, open from the command-line, export-and-run-program-with-output. Stuff like that can make the workflow much more fluid while still keeping the strengths of all the programs.

If you keep building features, you’ll eventually end up with something like Darktable or Rawtherapee… which is fine… but do you want to compete with those? Filmulator now has a unique exposure algorithm (that is getting competition from things like filmic in Darktable :)), that is it strength. Make it so that it plugs as seamless as possible in other programs will get a lot of people happy I think.

But it’s also CarVac’s own personal project, he can steer it whatever way he wants to go. Be it as hobby or as a tool he personally needs :).

1 Like

Seamless interoperation is fine by me as long as it doesn’t compromise the user interface that I use. I just need to figure things out and develop the features over time.

Developing rawproc with the unix “one tool to do one job well” philosophy has worked well for me. rawproc has no “dam” in the name; ‘damn’ is only an adjective to stick in front of the name when it crashes… :laughing:

When I’m working images on my Ubuntu desktop computer, I use geeqie on top of the filesystem to do DAM, then drag images I want to work to a rawproc desktop icon. When I’m working on my Windows tablet, I just use the Windows File Explorer in the same manner. I have a SMB share to my Ubuntu home directory, so I can even open images from there in the same manner.

Now, that takes a certain familiarity with file systems, networking, and such, which apparently they don’t teach in grade school… :scream:

It’s not that I disagree, but I think it might be a barrier to adoption. Many users want a replacement for their current all-in-one software and/or will try out Filmulator and wonder why it doesn’t have some of the features that more well-known or commercial software has. Now, this might not be a bad thing, and @CarVac might not necessarily want to be attracting lots of users. But I thought it was worth pointing out. Users on this forum, as enthusiasts, are probably fine with more of the dedicated tool approach. But the more casual Windows/Mac crowd, maybe not so much.

depends what the tool does and if it performs…

you don’t see people asking Topaz for ‘lens correction’ or ‘vignette correction’ in Topaz AI Denoise or AI Sharpen… those are tools with a purpose and they do it (well, that’s another discussion) and people accept them for it.

Still, let CarVac see where it takes him :).