What is the opinion on Export to HEIC feature in coming Darktable 3.0

No, sorry. I just remember reading about them. Need a single brand camera and TV to work.

There’s work ongoing - if you look at the W3C and ICC online lists there is work to display HDR stills, even to display a mix of HDR still and non-HDR text/website elements. There’s nothing to stop a system running the monitor in HDR mode and mapping non-HDR elements in to the HDR colour volume.

Did you see that I implemented AVIF support? It can store 10 or 12bit and has support for HDR. See av1-avif/testFiles/Netflix/avif at master · AOMediaCodec/av1-avif · GitHub

You need a moinotor which can display them and darktable compiled from my branch.

1 Like

That’s it? Sounds almost simple!

@darix started looking into it and I helped him. However there are several problems.

a) HEIC is a patent minefield. If we add support, no distribution will provide darktable packages with HEIC. You will have to compile darktable on your own!
b) libheif is segfaulting if you use 10 or 12 bit.
c) The libheif developers are slow in response
d) Chromimun and Firefox probably wont support it, Google and Mozilla are working on AV1/AVIF.

Presumably you need the operating system to interrogate the monitor via HDMI and switch in to HDR mode too?

darktable will not display your images in 10 bits today. it is hard to convince all the libraries involved in carrying the pixel to the monitor to work with 10 bits. i tried once and the parts that worked were superterribly slow and others just ignored the 10bit request and rendered in 8 no matter what. that may have been some time ago now, not convinced that it became much easier now.

1992 : “Look at JPEG ! What an awesome way to save bandwidth !”
2002 : Support of JPEG is ubiquitous even with grey areas on the patent

2004 : “Look at JPEG 2000 ! What an awesome way to save bandwidth !”
2010 : JPEG2000 support added in Safari. No other browser will ever support it.

2013 : “Look at WebP ! What an awesome way to save bandwidth !”
2014 : Chrome and Android browser add WebP support
2018 : then Edge
2019 : then Firefox - Still no Safari.

2018 : Apple makes HEIC the default photo format in iPhones
end-2019 : “Look at HEIC ! What an awesome way to save bandwidth”

early-2020 : everybody still uses 1992 JPEG as a go-to for photography.

Meanwhile, darktable still sucks at highlight reconstruction.

7 Likes

I’m wondering if using OpenGL would be a way to do this… ??

yes, it’s very easy to render 10 bits in opengl or vulkan. you still need to set your xorg config to 30 bits depth, which causes funny effects in icons in libre office for instance… if you don’t mind that it’s great and i think i should change my setup again to support this, now that we’re talking about it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Foreshadowing… The plot thickens!

Technology hype is entertaining it is amazing how the older stuff always tends to win :laughing:

“That’s the great thing about standards…there’s so many to choose from.”

The irony. :slight_smile:

Thanks all for your views. let us wait for the future to unfold itself!

as of now, vkdt supports rendering 30bit output. i can demonstrate that a smooth gradient is rendered as ugly stripes in 8-bit and looks great in 10-bit. unfortunately it’s a bit hard to make screenshots in 8-bits of this and post them here…

3 Likes

:joy:

Personally, I’d much prefer camera designers started supporting long file names than newer compression formats. It’s hard to believe we’re 20% into the 21st century and my camera still only supports 8.3 DOS-era filenames.

3 Likes

Work in progress: Commits · cryptomilk/darktable · GitHub

1 Like