Where is the missing GUI

I’m only suggesting that there should be a dedicated Basic tab for those modules I mentioned. Put white balance (not LAB), dehaze, and vibrance on that tab. I know that the chromaticity slider in Lab adjustments is a better way to go, but for web use I don’t need it. Things are just not convenient right now. I would dump ACR if I thought that RT had this and then do final edits in PS directly from RT.

I’m not trying to change the RT philosophy at all. I just want an easier way to work for the general web photography that I do.

2 Likes

Do not forget that there is the favorites tab.
For example, I have the modules that I use the most and from top to bottom, in addition to the Local tab.
Favorites

Edit/ See: Favorites Tab - RawPedia

1 Like

“Put the modules I want on one tab” is exactly what the favorites feature is for.

Thank you all for your input on this subject. The ACR-LR and RT models are quite different and each has its strengths and weaknesses. At least for now, I will have to work with both depending on what the project might be.

Two cents from me …

I would benefit from a single-page siders with all used by me functions. I would LOVE a single “SLIDERS” tab with:

• Exposure
  • Black
  • Contrast
  • Saturation
  • Vibrance
  • Shadow
  • Highlights
  • Contrast by detail level → only +/-
  • dehaze
  • sharpness by unsharp mask
  • sharpness by deconvolve
  • noise luminance
  • dynamic range compresion - amount

And all the above - only ONE slider per each point, nothing more, no buttons to turn on and off - just the slider.

This “Sliders” tab would make all the changes in the complicated other tabs and vice versa - for example it would turn on the noise tool and modify the lumiance.

I know, that it is a some kind of compromise to find a common denominator between users, but for me - it would increase the speed of processing each photo greatly.

What is also important, above sliders just works. For example - how many of you had to teach the hard lesson “what is contrast by detail level”, and the most used scenario is just clicking the + button once or twice ? For me it is 95% of usage. How easy it would be for new user to just use the slider for this function, and benefit from it and be really happy with the results. Then with time, the user would explore all the options which are also important, but not always, and not in the first time.

4 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I was going to suggest the same, but settled on the fact that the devs would consider this too dumbed down, even if it were only used for “Basic” adjustments.

1 Like

One more point regarding new users:

Many tools cannot demonstrate themselves to the user without complicated “housekeeping actions”. The actions ARE NOT OBVIOUS, you have to read the housekeeping script in the forum / rawpedia.

For example, if you would like to see what contrast by detail level does you have to:

1. change tab
  2. scroll
  3. click to enable
  4. click +

Another example:
You want to denoise image by more advanced “wavelets”, you have to:

1. click wawelets tab (what the heck is wavelets and what it has to do with noise)
  2. click wavelets to turn on
  3. click wavelets noise to turn on
  4. now what … hmm, this strange triange thing duplicated 5 times - 10 triangles …
    hmmm … I GIVE UP
    (really, I don’t know how to enable this denoise which is supposed to be superior)

:slight_smile:

It would be interesting to give user a “Reduced wawelets-noise slider” which just works. Some times it will work, sometimes it will not but it will be simple to try :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think the devs don’t want to compromise on features and dumb them down, but if it would be possible to have both words - maybe they would give this concept a try :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The machinations that one needs to go through to get this into what then becomes one’s own personalized copy of RawTherapee neatly illustrates the point that he was making about the need for a slightly more intuitive interface.

If I knew enough to be able to find that it existed and then to doe it then I wouldn’t need an easy to use control mechanism.

2 Likes

When I finish a day’s shooting, I copy the raws to a directory, point the batch tool at it and go have supper.

That’s what I did years ago with UFRaw, Bash and Kdialogue - called it ufraw-batch and it simply worked with a KDE servicemenu. Right-click on some raw files and select a conversion to jpeg or tiff with a few variables such as WB and shrapening applied.

I created a favorites tab last night with just the basic controls similar to ACR. What I came to realize was that without single slider control module (less options per module) the whole idea of a basic panel seems pointless. The only way around it would mean that the Exposure tab would be greatly simplified for the purpose of quick editing and there would also have to be a more advanced Exposure tab like the one in RT now for others to use. Unless there is another way, I don’t see this ever happening

1 Like

Personal view of a beginner-level user: I am not asking for an ‘easy’ interface: I’d like easier help! When I run to the manual, it is practical information that I want, not science.

Being FOSS, this is probably up to the community to provide, and the internet already provides quite a lot of help.

If I understand you correctly, the concept sort of exists already in the Local Adjustments tab (in dev). You can add tools (modules) to an RT-spot at will and set each tool to one of three levels of complexity: Basic, Standard & Advanced. The default complexity level is set in the Preferences module but it can be changed on a per-module basis as you are editing.

If ACR gives you exactly what you want, why not just use that? Pick the right tool for you.

I think you’re correct in that the “single” slider solution probably will not come to RT, as nobody is really interested in developing a LR/ACR clone.

4 Likes

Is there a link that describes this?

I believe that RT could do RAW processing better than ACR/LR, even with single slider modules.

I like this idea as a good compromise between immediately exposing all the (advanced) options and only having simple magical sliders.

This is true for nearly all tools in any piece of software: if you want to use it, you have find it and enable it. I will concede that it can be awkward to have to manually enable a tool before you see the effect of the sliders. I have put a request to change this in the GitHub tracker a while ago, but it hasn’t gotten any traction so far.

Agreed that a GUI is in desperate need: GUI for adding tools to Favorites tab · Issue #5256 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

Amen to this. RawTherapee does not pretend to want to be a replacement for ACR. It is a very different piece of software, with similar goals, but taking a very different approach. Consider the pro’s and con’s of both RT and ACR: if the balance tips to either one, it may be better for you to leave the other piece of software alone.
More in general though, speaking as one of the current devs of RT (but a recent one), I believe we try to provide a good experience for anyone who wants to develop RAW files. If you value high speed, high quality, high flexibility in choosing your own approach to processing, extensive (though sometimes technical) documentation and definitely some state-of-the-art original ideas implemented in a fully open-source and exposed fashion, then you’re at the right address. It takes some willingness to learn, there are definitely a lot of idiosyncrasies, RT may not have too many automagical sliders, but that’s the point: we are constantly in development and we want you to be in control.

I do recognize the flip-side of this. If you do put in effort to learn, you still might get frustrated either because you find no good resources to learn, or things are still confusing you even after experimenting, or even after learning how to use a tool, you find the experience excruciatingly annoying, or actually any other reason you would rather uninstall the software.
If so, never fear, the devs are here :smiley: There are multiple ways to approach this, in descending order of desirability:

1. code the change yourself and file a pull request on GitHub;
  2. file an issue on GitHub and collaborate with one of the devs to work towards a solution;
  3. start a discussion here (but if you want to make a point, bring good arguments and suggestions);
  4. file an issue and expect others to make the necessary changes, maybe, sometimes, ever;
  5. don’t say anything at all;
  6. openly criticize without actually being constructive about a possible change;
  7. something worse than that…

Bottom line: I think the current thread is doing a nice job to explain that there is a need for a simpler interface to the many tools in RawTherapee. It can definitely be done. Please keep the suggestions coming as to how that should work, and how that could help you speed up your processing pipeline.

P.S. @nullnull @stuntflyer do you know about processing profiles in RT? A preset can often take away a lot of the pain of having to find different settings on different tabs. You can even setup dynamic profiles that apply different presets based on the properties of your photo (e.g. different noise reduction levels for shots taken at different ISO’s).

1 Like

Thanks for your open minded response. .Yes, I use processing profiles all the time and they go a long way towards completion of the edits.

That’s good to hear as I was hesitant to post the subject for fear that my suggestions would be opposed intensely.

1 Like

It’s briefly mentioned in the introduction to Local Adjustments in Rawpedia but that’s all.

Hmm, how difficult for me (I’m experienced professionally in java, c#, python, but c++ only a little, no previous experience in rawtherapee development) it would be to implement this feature ? I’m not commiting yet to do it, but just wondering.
Intuition is that it is not completely rewrite of all parts - just mangling with the gui code and adding another tab (plenty of copy/paste and edit) which make changes in other tabs.