Which Linux distro?

Thanks all, I got DT 3…I think. Lack of sleep has made me dumb, hence I can’t find the version number. But I can see filmic rgb - that means it’s 3.0, right?

Next step - getting opencl to work.

1 Like

wow 22 days Fedora, time flies…
However, Ubuntu 18.04.4 is out, it has the 5.3 kernel and so it can be booted on my system. Lubuntu is interesting… Intel Neo needs to be compiled, however… software is very old… though there are third-party packages, appimages etc.
And MX 19.1 is out, too, with 5.4 kernel out of the box.

1 Like

Lol, I’m not a fan of the Ubuntu / Gnome 3 desktop though… I’m a simple man who prefers a traditional task bar / start menu! :laughing: Cinnamon is grinding my gears again though…

Main stumbling block for me is a DE which supports colour management…

1 Like

KDE is awesome. You should also avoid redshirt/nightlight features, as they use an ICC profile to change the screen tint.

1 Like

Yes, KDE is what I’m leaning towards…

Always fun to read a thread about Linux distro’s. So many choices, opinions, pros and cons. And in the end it seems that everybody is right and no-one is wrong.

I fully switched from 4dos / Windows 3.1 to Slackware 3 in 1996 (or early '97) and it didn’t take long before I started using SuSe 5+6 instead, switched to (B)LFS for a long while, went back to Slackware then CentOS 5 and finally found my, what looks like my final distro in 2008/9: Debian.

I have tried (played with) other distro’s, virtualized from within Debian over the years, but I’m happily stuck.

Debian and Xfce: Stable, fast and configurable. Out-of-the-box Debian isn’t always on the latest release (darktable 2.6.0 is shipped with Buster) but newer .deb packages are often available and I really don’t mind building/installing from source.

I’m not a fan of the, in my opinion, bloated desktop managers like KDE and Gnome. Xfce is nice and slim. I’m still considering switching to something lighter, but as is often the case I’m used to Xfce and have it configured just the way I like it.

2 Likes

Then we also have the more narrow distros,
like the Redcore Linux Project, as well as all
exgent varieties.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Especially since XFCE now supports Colour management. I did however find that kubuntu at login used around 100mb less than Mint Cinnamon…

KDE is very configurable. If you want to optimize for less RAM usage, turn off baloo/akondi and start disabling effects in kwin. You can get RAM usage down below what xfce uses.

3 Likes

@paperdigits Thanks for that, I always thought KDE was very system intensive and my 4 gig of RAM was not sufficient. Been on XFCE for about 10 years, time for a change.
I’ll have to give it a try on a live ISO.

Again thanks.

1 Like

Does anybody here use FreeBSD or something like that?

1 Like

You have the distro fever, like myself @betazoid ? :grin: Can’t say I have really used FreeBSD, although I may have tried it way back in 1997 or thereabouts when I was at university…

1 Like

I used it some years ago… I think *BSD are better for server

1 Like

I am pretty sure I have dialed Debian 9 with Plasma down to 350 Mb RAM. KDE Neon is light out of the box too. It is my daily driver. It usually sits around 500Mb. Debian was too much work (required many little tweaks here and there)

3 Likes

To be honest 500Mb isn’t bad for a fully functional Desktop environment.

Come on, on weak computers, low memory consumption is certainly important. But if you want to do image processing, you need a lot of RAM anyway and half a GB should not matter. Most computers that do perform decently in image processing have 8 GB RAM upwards.

I have Gnome (X) on my laptop, which supposedly needs really a lot of memory. After logging into the DE, 740 MB are occupied. While writing this post (Firefox, Thunderbird and other stuff open) it’s currently 1.6 GB. I think that’s okay.

3 Likes

I think most DEs have lowered their footprint. I remember KDE used to be a nonstarter. Now it is nice to use. That said, I still tend to use lighter DEs. An alternative is to go without one.

Baloo file search, Akonadi and Kontact Suite seem to be the memory hogs on Plasma. I think KDE Neon does not have them by default which is exactly what I like.

openSUSE with its “patterns” was very hard to customize that way. Patters are similar to meta packages so if you are not careful the removed packages keep coming back after regular updates.

Neon, Debian minimal, kubuntu minimal are lightning speed fast compare to the SUSE.

Manjaro was pretty good but I got overwhelmed by constant updates. Same applies to openSUSE Tumbleweed.

1 Like

I guess appimages don’t work on FreeBSD, do they?

Nope.

1 Like