"Whites" adjustment in RT

The most intuitive way to set black and white points would be to set them on the histogram itself, not using adjusters in exposure tab. Just a thought…

3 Likes

Your point is well taken. It’s just somewhat confusing when seeing the black, but not the white slider in the exposure tab.

1 Like

Maybe it’s easier to remove the black slider?

1 Like

I don’t know. I was just thinking more about users new to the software like myself. Getting used to doing things differently takes a bit of patience. I’m a ACR user for many years and not seeing that white slider threw me. Ingo has now started me thinking in a new direction by using the histogram for setting the w&b points.

Well…

Andy made a feature request, which in fact was only a change of a few lines of code

The feature you suggest will be a lot more work (lines of code, testing etc), so will have lower priority at least.

That does not mean, we don’t think about it.

Ingo

2 Likes

That’s good to know!

Thanks, Mike

2 Likes

Isn’t it the case that what Lr / ACR calls the ‘whites’ slider, that is more inline with our ‘Exposure’ slider? And what LR / ACR does with their ‘exposure’ slider is more of a curves / brightness adjustment in LR?

When raising the exposure slider in Lr / ACR, it doesn’t start to (really) clip the whites, it pushes the more towards it… it compresses the highlights.

Our (RT) exposure slider actually clips whites, so it adjusts the whole range (as it should do IMHO, because that is what a camera does with EV correction).

So, if you’re used to work in Lr / ACR by ‘set blacks, set whites, set exposure, …’ I think it’s the same as in RT do ‘set blacks, set exposure, adjust curve, …’.

LR’s ‘exposure’ slider does something different to what a mathematically correct ‘EV correction’ would be. A lot of people often describe to ‘just fix the exposure to be like the one in Lightroom’ but it isn’t that simple :), and I think it isn’t correct.

Setting black, setting exposure, and then in a regular curve-adjustment take the 50% point and pull it up and down straight to modify your exposure should get you 95% there of the LR blacks, whites and exposure sliders… with the benefit in my mind that the exposure slider works more like your EV correction in your camera (so a picture taken at -2 EV, and putting the exposure correction at 2.0 will actually be ‘correct’) and that while you’re working with a curve anyway, it’s easier to fine tune it more to do what you actually want, instead of grabbing things like highlight-recovery and shadow-recovery.

edit: As always, correct me if I’m wrong :).

“I think it’s the same as in RT do ‘set blacks, set exposure, adjust curve, …’.”

What you are describing here is exactly what I have found to work in RT. I think it’s a better way to go, even after making a new LR preset to control contrast as suggested by Andy Astbury.

M

A word of caution about about ‘setting black and white points’…

Personally, I NEVER SET THEM - the whole idea is fraught with bear traps further down the line, and here’s why.

No monitor can DISPLAY BLACK 0,0,0 - my hardware calibrated 27" Eizo runs 10 bit colour and still only manages to get down to 2.23L*
Most print papers can’t repro ‘blacks’ below 14,14,14.
And the brightest ‘white’ you can print is PAPER WHITE, which is always far removed from 255RGB!
Setting a zero black point looses deep shadow detail by crushing it to a black that struggles to be displayed, and certainly gets lost in print.
And having a white point of 255 risks the same in highlight detail.

It all depends what your end use is going to be - jpegs on the web or a tablet are okay with set white and black points, but images destined for print or pre-press really do have to be processed with a gentler approach!

Just saying folks… :smiley: :smiley:

7 Likes