Why all this yellow in highlights?

I think it was updated…check the OP comment

I will download and look at it, but my suggestion only applies for clipped images.

1 Like

‘Ere y’ go - I unzipped it :slightly_smiling_face:
20230105_081247_0024.ORF (19.4 MB)

OT, but I don’t know why it is that sometimes forum members can’t upload RAW files without it turning into a jpg. It’s never happened to me, but I’ve seen it happen quite often, where files have to be zipped to upload. Edit: maybe something to do with browsers?

1 Like

Its a bit about starting wb I think and maybe the profile for that camera could be an issue… Selecting the second base curve for Olympus and adding like 0.15EV and setting preserve to no in the base curve gives an image that is pretty close to the camera jpg so processing is in line with what might be expected I think…when you go to scene referred tone mappers etc etc… you have more to work but the look can also change quite a lot depending on the module used and the combinations of settings…this is why I always quip about saying filmic or sigmoid etc…well the edit is not all about that… what exact settings and what other modules were in play… One module or one slider setting can dramatically affect the impact of what filmic or sigmoid will do with the data esp in something like the highlights…

1 Like

Since the original post suggested a dislike for the yellow clouds I used the white balance module set to a small region of the cloud. This gives a blue shadow in valley and slight warm tinge to the sunlight on the snow. And yes, since there was no clipping my previous comment does not apply to this image, but it might be worth remember for images with clipping problems.

20230105_081247_0024.ORF.xmp (10.5 KB)

4 Likes

The second edit seems very similar to what I actually saw when shooting.

1 Like

In this.specific case the jpeg is not much relevant. I overexposed it to keep more details in the slopes of the mountain that are not hit by the sun, so what you see in the jpeg is completely different from what the actual scene looked like.

yes, it’s a fort that was destroyed during 2nd world war.

1 Like

Wow… what a place to build it…

Good! It’s very hard to tell just how it would have looked… I’m inclined to say that it may just be an image that needs tweaking. Although, if you notice things being too yellow in other images too, it’s easy to make a preset to auto-apply something like the channel mixer tweak I did. You could try it on some other scenes I suppose… might look terrible or good!
Another idea - I didn’t really try this and I’m not on the PC now, but as @priort suggested it may be as simple as the white balance being off.

1 Like

Maybe it’s because I use Safari.

I did prefer the Olympus daylight to the as shot but never the less I find that often for these color casts the auto picker in the 4 way tab is a great place to start… Here is one interpretation because if you just target the yellow even with wb things like the snow can go a bit blue … so I did the highlights first and then added back some yellow to the midtones to bring the snow from being so blue… I prefer this to messing to much with wb to correct local issues… I guess you could also do 2 instances of CC module for a dual wb for the shadows and sky as AP once showed in his video of the train station shot…

20230105_081247_0024.ORF.xmp (10.3 KB)

4 Likes

Actually it was more a dislike for the yellow on mountain peak. I remember it was in fact much more orangy/red than yellow.

Very nice, even though it doesn’t look like an early morning shot any longer.

1 Like

Ya “one interpretation” :slight_smile: looks more like afternoon but I liked having more life in the trees and I went to clear out most of the yellow…this kill the morning vibe for sure…

1 Like

Interesting… That certainly works. Personally, I much prefer to retain the colour temperature differences both because that’s how it looks in real life and I think it adds a lot the shot. But that’s only my preference :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Back on computer, I like the detail you’ve brought out in the foreground trees in this one.

I use Firefox so that’s certainly a difference… could be!

I decided to have another go where I set the white balance to daylight and then used rgb curves to add a little yellow back in. I also did multiple exposure instances using a gradient on the tress to brighten them a little and a drawn path mask with lots feathering and blur to darken the sunlit peak. I suspect the desired color could easily be obtainable in DT and as the posts here show there are many different approaches that one can take.

20230105_081247_0024_01.ORF.xmp (18.5 KB)

l

1 Like

20230105_081247_0024.ORF.xmp (9.8 KB)

7 Likes

With the dark lower part and the space above the mountain, this would be an excellent basis for a movie poster, but I do not have a movie in mind yet.

2 Likes