Why RAWs instead of, say, TIFFs?

Oh, 32-bit… it’s easily compiled/built, but the real problem with 32-bit is the 4GB memory space limit. rawproc makes a full-sized copy of the image for each added tool (unless you group tools…), and you can run out of memory really quick if you only have 4GB addressable…

Why would you still run 32bit windows in 2020?

Pretty close to rawproc, except its the history stack, not the applied toolchain. Although it probably could be made equivalent if the history stack is compressed, but the module order looks to still be defined elsewhere…

Yes. I guess that it will be addressed once the module order presets are implemented.

That is a brilliant idea! I will do that tonight!

No idea I thought that is what I read in the readme notes that is why I asked the question??

Mail](https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986) for Windows 10

Thanks Glenn my question was not worded the best …I did mean in general were there instructions to build for windows…I was not actually looking to do a 32 bit build…thanks for responding…

Mail](https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986) for Windows 10

The first post will do, then. For msys2, just pacman -S each package…

Great thanks will try to find some time to give it a whirl…

Btw, the most recent DNG spec 1.5 allows also for the storage of an “enhanced” image in high precision, which is at least demosiaced by definition, and possibly denoised and sharpened. However, it should stay in the camera color space, so quite a bit of camera specific processing is still needed.

Unfortunately, it seems there is no requirement to disclose and record what was exactly done to the raw pixels in order produce that enhanced image.

This is the closest thing I can find in any metadata spec to store such:

Exiv2 - Image metadata library and tools, scroll down to xmpMM:History. I think I read somewhere recently that darktable can optionally store the history stack here.

All the information gathered by the sensor (bayer/xtrans, I don’t speak about 3-channel foveon) is available by one color value per sensel (usually 10 to 16 bit, depending on camera, often even lossless compressed). You can go from that data to demosaiced data but you can not easilly go back, means by storing the demosaiced 16-bit tiff data instead of the raw data, you will lose valuable information, increase the size of the file and also increase in camera processing time (reduce burst speed)

Yes, I don’t see any need for such in a raw file, if one supposes that the raw data comes unmodified. In most raws I’ve inspected, the Makernotes do include the Picture Control settings (sorry, a Nikon nomenclature) that produced the embedded JPEGs.

But a rendition, e.g., a TIFF for use in GIMP, or just a JPEG for some audience, does have a use case for containing the tool chain that produced it. That’s how I open most files in rawproc; I select a rendition, and rawproc finds the source file, opens it, and re-applies the toolchain to start me off with the rendition as-processed. From there, I can change any of the existing tools in the chain, or add/delete tools. Once done, I can choose to either save the new rendition over the old one, or save to a new filename.

I can’t imagine working as efficiently any other way…

Indeed - the depth map addition in DNG 1.5 makes sense, but I’m not sure what was the idea behind having this “enhanced” linear image alongside the raw data… Maybe for faster/lighter tone and color grading workflow, or storing intermediate HDR+ merge results and such? The file size increase is not negligible (in effect 3+1 full res channels now at 16b or more vs a single 16b one).

But we don’t have to replace RAW files. “Editable JPGs” would still be valuable, if not necessarily for the same purposes as RAW files.

In a sense there’s already such a thing, JPEG 2000. Particularly, it allows higher bit-depths than the ubiquitous JPEG standard 8-bit. IMHO 8-bit should never be considered for tone or color editing.

I only consider using plain-ole JPEGs for cropping, and even then, it’s just as easy for me to re-open the raw file and re-apply the processing as a starting point.

1 Like

Every time I hear someone mention JPEG 2000:

Sorry for the off-topic…

1 Like