Why the hell can't I open .raw files in rawtherapee?

Yes, it says so in @markbetz 's link above, from which:

I’m not sure what the issue is here…?

I simply stated that many years ago (decades before mass market digital cameras) there was indeed a “raw” image format (*.raw) that wasn’t a digital camera raw file as we know them now. I never said nor implied that any other “raw” files couldn’t be from from cameras. I commented solely on that old format.

???

Thanks for the clarification. You wrote:

Which I may have misinterpreted.

It would be nice if the OP would actually tell us where his .raw files originated from …

1 Like

Without @yeahman posting a sample we are very limited in the help and advice we can give on this forum.

1 Like

Sorry to gatecrash this RawTherapee (RT) section.

As a Gimp user, you will find many formats RAW +camera-make and their file extensions. Indeed Raw Panasonic shows .RAW, RW2 There is a RAW image format but with a .data extension.

There is a previous post where RT opens the image, I do not use RT but as an example https://i.imgur.com/BzGQjgz.jpeg
Top is looking at it in XnViewMP and bottom in Gimp+nufRAW

Raw.pixls.us shows a .raw is a hybrid jpeg from an R π. Wondering if that’s the type you are trying to open?

Unfortunately, there is absolutely no point in looking for solutions here before @yeahman is willing to provide one essential information:
The type of camera that was used

4 Likes

It is in the file EXIF, Panasonic DMC-LX1

That one was posted by @xpatUSA

1 Like

Appologies, so it was.

2 Likes

Indeed.

It is quite a waste of Member’s time when someone asks a question but then never responds to any replies.

4 Likes

Not everyone has the time to be here every day or week or month. I know we’re hungry to get to a solution, but we should be patient.

2 Likes

On the ImageMagick forums, about half the people who pose questions don’t respond to requests for further information, or acknowledge suggested solutions.

That’s life.

1 Like

We can and should feel good that we have done as much as we can to solve the problem with the provided information :heart_eyes: