Win 32 Build Please?

Actually, Windows XP is probably most prevalent in the “highly industrialized” regions, because that high industrialization relies in large part on process controllers that are still paneled with XP computers. If you find yourself walking through a power plant sometime, if you encounter a touch panel, it’s probably a WinXP computer. Slow to upgrade; once something is working correctly in this world, the motivation to change is pretty small.

Absolutely nothing to do with image processing…

3 Likes
  1. Sure many companies are still stuck on old windows version. but those are usually in a secured environment. not directly connected to the internet or still being used for accessing the internet
  2. Even those protected environments are sometimes not protected enough …

So as soon as your OS runs out of vendor support, you want to switch to a supported version again. And that is actually a chance for linux to jump in, if people don’t have the money to buy the next Windows version. Windows 10 even had free updates from older windows versions.

1 Like

Agreed!

3 Likes

@gaaned92:

Thanks for the build. I installed RawTherapee_dev_5.4-134-g840908e4_WinVista_32.zip. Installation went fine; however, when starting RT, it aborts with an error message from “Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library”: “The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way”. That happens before anything is displayed on screen.

OS is Win 7 Professional 32bit.

Best regards
Bezier

Hi, maybe this link can help you How to fix crashes on startup - RawPedia

@Bezier
As it doesn’t crash on my system, could you generate a back trace as described in How to write useful bug reports - RawPedia

Note: all the required tools are included in the build (gdb.exe and rawtherapee-debug.exe)

If you have problems to do that, don’t hesitate to ask.
Once done, I will open a ticket on rawtherapee github

@gaaned92:

I followed the instructions. However, no info was displayed and no log.txt created (at least not in the RT directory – do I need to look somewhere else?).

This is the information from my command prompt:

[…]
Reading symbols from rawtherapee-debug.exe…done.
(gdb) r
Starting program: C:\Program Files\RawTherapee\5.4-134-g840908e4\rawtherapee-deb
ug.exe
[New Thread 5868.0x1e50]
[New Thread 5868.0x1b6c]
[New Thread 5868.0x1af8]
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application’s support team for more information.
[Thread 5868.0x1b6c exited with code 3]
[Thread 5868.0x1af8 exited with code 3]
[Inferior 1 (process 5868) exited with code 03]
(gdb) set pagination off
(gdb) set logging file log.txt
(gdb) set logging on
Copying output to log.txt.
(gdb) info threads
No threads.
(gdb) thread apply all bt full
(gdp)

Does this help?

Best regards,
Bezier

To continue: I got adventurous and built RT myself, following the instructions in RawPedia. Building went through with a few warnings and notes after “In file included from D:/Software/RAWTherapee_Source_dev/rtengine/dcraw.cc:85:0:”. I can give you the details, if that’s interesting for you.

However, when running from MSYS2, it stops with a Segmentation Fault after a second or so, before displaying anything else. When running from Windows Explorer, it also stops after a second or two, without any error message.

My machine is an Acer Travelmate laptop with Core2Duo processor, about 10 years old, with Win7 Professional 32bit. The official “RT 5.0-r1-gtk2 for Windows XP or newer 32-bit - fast” from the RawTherapee website runs fine. (So, thinking about it, maybe GTK3 is the problem?)

I have no experience whatsoever building software under Windows, and haven’t done any serious programming for more than 20 years, so I guess I’ll leave it at that.

However, I think there are 3 errors in RawPedia that I’d like to let you know about:

• pacman -S should include a lensfun package for the 32bit version, too.
  • libgcc_s_seh-1.dll does not exist; should be libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll.
  • libfribidi-0.dll is needed but missing in the list.

If I can do anything to help find the problem, please let me know. Otherwise, I’ll just have to wait until I buy a new machine, in 2020 or so…

Best regards,
Bezier

@Bezier
As I was out of home, I didn’t notice your preceding post. Sorry for that.

The first two errors are tied to the 32 bits build process that is no longer updated on rawpedia
The last is a new requirement from last MSYS2 update

The problem with XP is due to the window manager incompatible with GTK3.
Vista is the first system with the new window manager.

The problem comes from a commit that broke W32 build.

So before trying to debug, if you are patient, I will try to find where it happened. Perhaps @floessie or @heckflosse know that.

I am going to build different versions which Iwill upload at
https://keybase.pub/gaaned92/RTW32NightlyBuilds/

For each version please indicate if it is good or bad

1- RawTherapee_5.3_WinVista_32.zip

If maintaining the info is not possible, please remove the section. RawPedia should contain simple and easy to follow instructions, without branching in the logic.

The 32-bit architecture is problematic for our use, image processing. 4G of addressable memory sounds like a lot, but in-memory image arrays can be quite large and you typically need displays and thumbnails in addition to the working image. My program actually maintains a working image for each tool, so I rapidly eat up memory, by design. I still do a 32-bit build, but in that build I had to incorporate a 16-bit float data type for working images to keep them small enough to allow a decent stack of applied tools.

I’m pretty cheap when it comes to computers, but I gave up on 32-bit machines when photography re-inserted itself in my day. I still have a WinBook tablet, 4 cores but only 32-bit address space, so it’s going to the daughter for school work. The 2-core Surface 3 took its place, slower to process but I can use my regular 32-bit floating point version of rawproc.

@Morgan_Hardwood
In order to update the rawpedia windows build page, could you indicate me where to find the update procedure and how to submit you a draft?

@gaaned92
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Windows
Click “Request account” in the top-right corner, follow instructions, I’ll confirm you, then you can edit.

Please keep to this philosophy: document the easiest, fool-proof way to compile RT under Windows. Don’t confuse the reader with different paths. Don’t duplicate information - link to a specific section in Linux - RawPedia if needed.

@ggbutcher
Generally agreed. It’s just that, in my case, RT 5.0 32bit official version runs fine, as does LR, as does C1, as does Gimp, … but any newer version of RT crashes :frowning:
I don’t plan to buy a new machine before the end of support of Win7. It’s not that I’m particularly cheap, not even regarding computers, but my current computer works perfectly for everything I do (with the exception of RT > 5.0), and setting up a new computer, with the 200+ programs I use more or less regularly, will cost me my annual vacation or a couple of months’ worth of weekends… Something I don’t want to do every other year or so.
“My program” refers to what? RT?

Best regards,
Bezier

rawproc. Ironically, when I was searching the FOSS raw converter offerings, one of the main considerations was snappy running on a cheap Windows tablet, with 32-bit Win7. Not satisfied with the others in this regard, I’ve written my own. It’s on github, here’s a link to the most recent release:

The top link is to the 32-bit Windows installer. Please note, it’s more of a “swiss army knife”, a set of the most needed tools, but you are responsible for which you use and in what order. It’ll not hold your hand like RT or dt…

@gaaned92
Bingo! I just installed “RawTherapee_dev_5.4-134-g840908e4_WinVista_32.zip” from the link you gave, and now it works (albeit very slowly; opening and processing a picture takes about 2-3 times longer than with RT 5.0).

Thank you! At least I can now check out the new features!

Now that I have already installed the tools, I’d still like to try to build myself; any information on what to to differently from the description in RawPedia? Where can I find the source you used?

Best regards,
Bezier

1 Like

@Bezier

It’s a good news and unexpected.
So now I am going to build the last dev version dev_5.4-228-g52968a97 that you will find at the same location.
Can you test and confirm if it works or not.

Regarding building, I am in the way to correct and if possible simplify the procedure.
there is nothing to do differently from what is written (except fot thre bugd you noticed).
If you want to build on a regular basis, the best is to write bash scripts.

The builds you are testing are compiled from the dev branch.
If you are in your RT repository, type git checkout dev to switch on that branch. (see http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Linux#Choose_a_branch)

I am now on the way to update the procedure.

note : the second field of the build name gives you the branch name. (see https://keybase.pub/gaaned92/RTW32NightlyBuilds/readme.html)

@gaaned92
Branch 228 also works :slight_smile:
Speed is the same as with 134, i.e. 2 - 3 times slower than “RT 5.0-r1-gtk2 for Windows XP or newer 32-bit - fast” (processing a sample image takes 22s vs. 8s).

The user interface could be a bit slower due to GTK3 vs GTK2 (that’s outside of our control), but the processing speed should be faster when using the same tool settings.

Make sure you’re using a “release” build and not a “debug” one, and make sure they’re compiled using the same flags and optimizations.

The current 32bit Windows builds are without SSE2 support.